Thursday, September 03, 2015

The break


During our holidays in Austria and Slovenia I practiced only once in a studio in Vienna. This was one of my highlights.

Most hotel rooms had a carpet and this is not inviting. Space was so limited. No, I didn't like to crawl there on the ground.

The break has had good aspects, too. I don't feel the pain in my back anymore. Almost. It's so incredible much better. I'm so relieved.

Back to the highlight, the practice in Vienna. I got feed-back from a teacher with a lot of experience. And I know he is right. I could sign everything that he said to me. I had almost a private session there. The feed-back about single asanas was useful, too. Yet the general feed-back will change what I'll do from now on.
A lot went wrong in the past, the last 12 years. I don't care. I pick myself up where I am.

There is a huge difference between my forward bending asanas, twists and back bending. This developed over the years. In India I once heard a yogini saying: Too much primary. Now I know what it means. I practiced too long primary.
This gap between my ability to bend forward and to bend backward won't change by it's own. To close the gap in order to have a balanced practice again I plan the following:
On Sundays I'll practice at home. I'll do second series. I'll repeat the back bending poses. I'll do extra back bending poses. As they come first now, I'll have the energy.
For me it's no more enough to hold kapotasana for 5 breaths and then doing the next pose. That way I can try this pose till I'll be 100 years old.
Also in Mysore classes I'll hold the backbending poses longer, I hope I'll have the energy for this. In Mysore classes I practice half of primary first. This gives me the opportunity to work on the vinyasas.
Monday, Wednesday and Friday I'll join our group. On Friday is primary. This is a fixed ritual.
Yet on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday I'll try to close the gap, so that one day backbending and forwardbending are equally developed.

Yoga is about balance. My practice is not balanced. I could realize this so clearly. I'm ready to change this.

Time to practice.....today is just a new start, a soft beginning, after a break.

No comments: