Friday, March 13, 2015

It's not even 9am...


...and I'm at home again. Friday is primary day. I don't do more than this. I also don't work hard on poses like urdhva dhanurasana. I did it 4 times. No drop backs. That was it. I don't dawdle, so within less than 90 min I'm through, relaxation pose included.

I cannot practice super sloppy. I always search my limits. Yet there are different levels here. It depends how much energy I can mobilize. Today I had a lot of energy.

In the changing room I had a quick conversation with a new yogini. She practiced with the Sivananda people in Munich. There I learned headstand. She too learned headstand there within a rather short time of a few weeks. I learned it in one session. The reason: You do it in the middle of the room and never against a wall. The wall is poison for this pose. One learns to start from the middle of the body. The arm position must be correct. To have a mind that likes to explore new things is not a disadvantage.

Even Iyengar who used a lot of props, taught headstand in the middle of the room. I don't know why so many yoga teacher advise to practice headstand against a wall.

On Fridays I try to be longer in headstand. This was possible today, The body was in balance, the mind calm.

Tomorrow is a day off from yoga. Yepeeeee.......

2 comments:

mikeintonbridge said...

I learned headstand against a wall. It worked for me. The reason I liked it is that it teaches you how to approach this pose. By walking the feet towards your head until your back is against the wall you learn how much further you have to walk - and also that once you get to that position your feet will become light. Then when you do it away from the wall you stop trying to go up too soon but continue to walk the feet in until they float. That is what the wall taught me.

Ursula Preiss said...

That's great when you learned it that way.

What I see is that people never get away from the wall, not after 5 years. They usually use to swing up and this scares in the middle of the room as there is nothing that stops this movement.

There are exceptions.