Sunday, February 01, 2015

Practice and all is coming - a broader interpretation


This morning on my way to a Mysore class I was thinking of something that made me furious. Yes, this happens. Good that I go to practice, I thought. I see more and more that Ashtanga yoga also exercises the mind. It tames the mind. The senses are focused. I listen to my breath, I stare at a gazing point (dristi), I feel the asanas, the limits an that day. That's it. This calms the mind. Not so much thinking happens.

On my way home I thought of what I thought this morning and suddenly new aspects came up, much more positive ones. I was no more furious, yet relaxed.
This is it what is meant with: practice and all is coming.

We (me too) tend to think: practice handstand it it is coming.
Yet the above sentence goes further.

Re the asanas I'd modify this sentence or rather quote another sentence of P. Jois:
“You take practice, practice, practice, practice, CORRECT practice.” Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. 

I'm convinced that one has to practice correctly if one wants to see progress. 

I'm back from Berlin and back on the mat. What a lovely practice this morning. I cannot do less than usual. I hope my body can integrate this practice of today after a lazy week in exciting Berlin. 

Pictures of Berlin on flickr.
My photography on Facebook.

For those who are interested in this 1% theory, I do recommend th book by Thomas Still '1 Percent Theory: An attempt to reconstruct the forgotten lessons of Ashtanga yoga as tought by Shri K. Pattabhi Jous


No comments: