Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Modern Ashtanga Yoga - Dristi in urdhva mukha svanasana


Here is another important message from the workshop last Saturday with G, who is authorized and who practices regularly in India with Sharath.

Dirsti in upward facing dog was third eye.
What happened: The yoginis moved upwards, the eyes looked upwards, too, the front was in wrinkles. In the last years I tried to pull my eye-brows down so that my face relaxed. Nevertheless 99% of the yoginis including myself pulled their faces.

Dristi has changed: it is now the nose in urdhva mukha svananana. 
This is so much better, because one looks downwards slightly, the face remains relaxed.
Today I talked about this change with a yogini. She even thinks that breathing becomes easier when the eyes look at the nose. I agree.

Upward facing dog or urdhva mukha svanasana is a pose that we do rather often as it is a counter pose to all the forward bending asanas of primary. It requires concentration to change the dristi. As it feels so much better I'll integrate this in my practice. It will be a focus of concentration during my next practices, for sure.

2 comments:

Debb said...

You have inspired me to use my dristi more, dear U... It's true, dristi on the nose causes a more relaxed breathing. I love practicing with an emphasis on how the body feels... I avoid any straining, too difficult feeling.. the end result is that I feel energized after a practice and not exhausted. The breath work always helps with this.

Ursula Preiss said...

That's great, Debb.

Always look in the direction you want to go.
I wish you joyful practices.