Wednesday, November 19, 2014

I've been there....





The first picture is from 2009, the second picture is from 2014. I document my yoga practice. I love to see progress that I often do not experience on a daily basis. Seeing these pictures motivates me. Something moves over the years, this is so obvious.

These pictures are not about flexibility, they are about perseverance. They are about discipline, about being optimistic. This happens if one practices with joy.

If you have a closer look you can see that my understanding of the pose has deepened.
In 2009 my bound arms moved downwards. In 2014 they stretched and moved upwards. With this movement I have a leverage effect. It helps to move the body forward. There is a counter movement that I realized later, too. The bent leg moves backwards.

This pose prepares one of the core asanas of primary: supta kurmasana.
The knee is already behind the back.

Important is that the body is straight. It feels a bit like a twist when I move forward.

Self-study is part of yoga. Learning has changed in a revolutionary way.  We are connected around the globe today.
Of course we all like it if something is easy to perform. Yet if it's not it can be an opportunity, a learning and understanding opportunity.

Enjoy the ride.

My Facebook page on photography is here.
My Facebook page on yoga is here.

2 comments:

Filipa said...

Great post! Simple, concise and motivating. Thank you. It does gives hope, specially for the ones who practice alone and are going that stage in which nothing seems to change in the ásanas. But, of course, it is indeed changing in the inside.

Ursula Preiss said...

This pose was intended to give hope and motivation. The daily practice will show it's consequences.

Keep practicing, dear Filipa.