Saturday, October 11, 2014

Seeing progress


Seeing progress: This is surely also something that I experience when I practice Ashtanga yoga: I also appreciate progress and might it be tiny. I appreciate having given attention to my practice. Every practice is a highlight. Having goals is great, it gives direction, motivation, yet it's just a part of the game.

I feel better, much better. I'd say I'm 98% recovered. What an intrusive cold. I blamed other people, who don't isolate themselves when having a cold. Yet this is nonsense. I  remember that I was surrounded with people with a cold and I stayed healthy. It's a thinking pattern that many people have: Bad things come from others, for the good things that happen in our lives we are responsible on our own.
It makes not much sense to judge the happenings. I live. Every situation invites us to take action in a different way. I stayed at home, drank tea (with rum), tried to keep my feet warm and finally I accepted. A cold is nothing.

Ashtanga yoga has few rules, but one is not to omit an asana and exercise them till they are mastered. Then comes the next asana. There are easy asanas, asanas we like, others we don't. There are asanas we have to practice 10 years perhaps, till  they are performed. If we omit those asanas  that we don't like, if we omit those asanas we are not able to do we miss an opportunity to learn. Not every progress comes as a spectacular event. Sometimes it's internal. We can learn i.e. not to give up. We learn to believe in ourselves.

The asanas are like events in life. They are a metaphor.

I've mixed feelings when thinking of Monday. It will be difficult to get up at 5am. Yet this is doable. I'm looking forward to the practice, yet I also fear to be stiff and weak like hell. That's how it is. Nothing can be held.

Enjoy the weekend.

2 comments:

Cakespy said...

I love the idea of the asana as metaphor. What a beautiful post! :-)

Filipa said...

Indeed, I sticked to the practice of ashtanga exactly because I have always thought of it as a metaphor. The rest is detachment.