Thursday, October 09, 2014

Good habits make life joyful and easy


In the last 2 weeks I had a cold, no fever (perhaps on one day) but I was coughing. Nevertheless I did basic chores without much convincing myself, without much effort. The reason: they are a habits. After dinner I clean the dishes. I always make the bed when I get up. Every day my washing machine runs and I iron the dry clothes from the last day. This happens automatically. I don't do extra chores when I don't feel 100% on top, I take it easy when ill, yet these tiny habits make my life more joyful even when ill.

There are other areas in life where I still work on strong habits.

The main mistake: 
The main mistake when we don't succeed is that we often want too much at once. I know this too well. When I'm in a good mood, I'm often also not too lazy to take a pen and I write down 10 or more things that I want to do (also as a habit) to improve skills, my life in general. There are special days like New Year, birthday that even invite to do so.
My experience is it is so much better to really work on one activity at a time. Forming one good habit can be difficult enough.
I read that the will power is like a muscle. It gets tired. One good habit even a tiny one can make a difference.

My favorite trick is to attach a new activity to a strong habit. Once a habit is formed it requires less and less energy to do it. I even don't feel good anymore when I go to bed and dirty dishes are in the dishwasher. I have to clean them. The next morning I'm so happy that I did it.

I also 'need' my yoga practice.

Less is more.
Appreciating tiny steps can make a difference.


My yoga blog on Facebook
My photography on Facebook




No comments: