Sunday, April 13, 2014

Three shopping experiences

1. Buying flowers


On Saturdays I usually go to the bakery to get some 'Brötchen' for us. On my way home I pass by a florist. In order to make our home a bit more friendly and lively I entered the shop. I picked individual flowers. It should be a bunch with different flowers, yet all with pastel shades. To give the creation some tension I also picked flowers with  a strong lilac color. The last ones had rather long stems, but this shouldn't be an issue as one can cut them. The sales person took all the flowers that I had chosen and went with them to the room in the back. When she returned all stems were so short. The bunch of flowers looked mingy. I expressed my disappointment. She compared the stems of my flowers with those in the vases. Indeed. She had cut 1 third even from the smallest ones. She wanted to give me a new bunch, yet I didn't like that. Why throwing away these flowers? 

My feeling: this person who bound the bunch was not interested in her job. And I won't buy flowers there anymore. There are other shops here......

2. Getting a jacket repaired.

I had lost a button. Months this jacked was lying on a shelf in the wardrobe to get repaired. I didn't do it. So my conclusion then always is, I have to delegate it. I went to a tailor's shop and asked if they sewed buttons. They did. The lost button was lost, I had no substitute. This was no issue. The woman told me that she had buttons. When I picked up the jacket again she had used the last button as the first button because this one is more oustanding. She used any button as the last one. Yet, the last button is too big for the hole. I cannot close the jacket anymore fully. I realized this at home. After some time I looked at the jacked again and voilà another button fell at the floor. The woman has not checked the other ones. 
Best would have been if she gave me the advice: Buy new buttons and we'll sew it all. Then the jacket looks beautiful again. Point. I would have understoodd that she cannot go shopping for buttons. Of course I could have had this thought, too. 
4 Euro spend for nothing. As the jacket is, I won't dress it. 

3. Pedicure

Since I got married in 2012 I go to manicure and pedicure every 4 weeks. 5 decades I cared for my nails by myself. Since 2012 I get help. I love this bit of luxury. So last time when my toe nails were filed it hurt. I screamed 'aua', and indeed my skin was bloody. The woman had treated my skin instead of my nail with the file. The woman got an antiseptic and apologized. This can happen. 

I want to add that I really enjoy the conversations with this woman about almost everything. I even considered to invite her to dinner as she passes by my home when she leaves her shop. 
What happened next time changed my mind. 

Again I lied on the chair and she was treating my toe nails. She: "Last time you screamed, perhaps you have athlete's foot." She showed me my toe under the microscope. There was still a little red scarf to be seen from last injury. And this shall be athlete's foot, I wondered. I never had this. She pulled my toes apart to check if my foot is clean there. It was. "I have to sell you an antiseptic", she told me. Inside I screamed already: I don't want another bottle that I don't use and I also don't need it. I was polite and said nothing. 
When I left the shop I had this antiseptic for 11 Euro in my handbag and I was furious. Ah the energy. 

Why all this? 
I'm on my way to become an experienced shopper, yes yes......

What's even better: I love the variety of life. As creative as I am, I wouldn't have been able to invent such shopping stories. Life is wonderful. 



8 comments:

Anna said...

Oh, these events happen all the time with me. SO frustrating - especially when you have high expectations that someone somewhere please God will do a PROPER JOB - haha.

And as for the extra stuff the salespeople force on one - I cannot seem to escape from their clutches :-((

Why is NO so difficult? I'm screaming NO inside as I am handing over the money :-O

Ursula Preiss said...

I love good sales people.

Yet pushiness is something else.

I'm learning to say 'no'. :)

yulang said...

It also happens to me like this. You are seeing this thing quite positively. Thumbs up!

Ursula Preiss said...

I try to become better and better in buying things....:).

Debb said...

I love how you relate personal stories.. you are a gentle spirit, even when agitated or annoyed. How I wish I could be more gentle, in my mind thoughts, dear U.

Ursula Preiss said...

Dear Debb, I think, it's nothing. Really. An annoyance, so what.

There are major issius on that globe.

Quentin said...

Your country is so beautiful. Maybe one day J. And I will shop there. Happy Easter!

Ursula Preiss said...

Germany IS worth visiting, Quentin.

You're very welcomed here.