Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ashtanga yoga: Ardha baddha padmottanasana




Ardha baddha padmottanasana, it's one of the asanas I thought I wouldn't be able to do. Our bodies are different. Those with very long arms might have it a bit easier. But look, me too, I was able one day to perform  it. This is the reason why I write about this pose today. I'd like to write about the mental influence of practicing Ashtanga yoga. In sum it made me more optimistic. I faced so many asanas I thought they were impossible for me to do. I was happy with easier variations. Yet asana by asana could be performed. Optimistic thoughts are contagious. These days I think more is possible than I might think. 

If a pose is not possible one can try to understand it:
- I tried to put my feet higher on my hips.
- I turned my hole upper body around in order to reach my toe with my hands. I did it first with a swing.
- I bended my leg to make balancing easier first. 

To play around to understand a pose makes sense.

I was entertained when I saw my history of this asana: First I didn't know that the body should be parallel to the legs. I also didn't know that the chin should touch the shin. This makes the balancing more challenging. Yet this is how this pose is performed. For some time now I work in this direction. It's doable.  
Dristi is the nose. 

Keep practicing. Stay curious.

And for those who are not yet challenged enough, here a variation of the pose. I am challenged enough. 


Don't forget to buy your goodies at amazon via my blog. Links are on the right side of this blog. Thank you.

No comments: