Friday, December 20, 2013

Sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's a piece of cake....


"You should not be practicing to have a “good” practice, but instead to keep steadiness within yourself.
Practice happily regardless of whether it is “good” or not. Sometimes some postures will not be possible, but when you accept the good and the bad and everything becomes equal for you, that is yoga."

~ R. Sharath Jois

And today it was hard. We were out yesterday night and the waiter was sleeping or had other interests, but to look for his guests. So I was later in bed than I wished I were. However. 
No practice is like another one. All are unique. 
I'm always happy when I practiced. Also today. 
Today I fell out of supta kurmasana. This is so sometimes. Next time it can be that I can hold my wrist again. Who can predict what's going to happen next time?

Whatever feeling might arise and they are numerous, above all I feel thankfully that I can do this practice. 
This practice gives me indeed stability in my life. I can so relate to the quote by Sharath.

I also know that the 'good' practices are only possible because of the 'difficult' ones. 
When it's difficult the practice becomes even more a mental exercise. Keep going can require a lot of energy sometimes. 

It's done. The practice is over for today and I can dedicate my time to other activities. Christmas presents must be packed and so on.......

Picture is taken in South Africa. 






2 comments:

yulang said...

For me, yesterday was very very hard, no flexibility and no strength. When I was put in kurmasana, I felt like crying. Don't know why. Although I have heard before that people cry when doing a pose, I never thought this would happen to me. I was thinking all the time "Ah, today is hard!" But then I remembered some talk from Edward Brown, a Zen teacher, about a "good" or "bad" meditation. He said, how do you define "good" or "bad"? If it fits your expectation, then it's good, and otherwise bad?
I think it also applies to our yoga practice. Not having any preference or judgment, being aware and present. But easy said than done. :P

Ursula Preiss said...

This is so true, Lang.
This Zen teacher, whom you quoted, brings it to the point.

Especially some asanas work on deeper levels of the body. Our history is stored in our body. When we go deeper and deeper in poses, we learn to let go of the conditioning of the past. It liberates us. This can come with feelings of enthusiasm, sadness, tears. Enjoy the ride, whatever it brings up.

For me yoga is also a practice for liberation. It made me flexible and I don't think only of being able to take the legs behind the head. This Ashtanga yoga makes flexible in many ways and with this is enlarges our possibilities in life.

I love that you're such a passionate yogini, dear Lang.