Sunday, November 17, 2013

Paschimottanasana - "Hold your wrist."


I always folded my fingers when I practiced paschimottanasana C. Here is the history. The reason might have been that it's easier. My ability to bend forward developed slowly over the years. I wanted to bind, yet my legs should be stretched and engaged. I never checked if I finally could hold my wrist. To hold the wrist means that I had to get a tiny bit deeper into the posture. "Hold your wrist," I was told last time in the led class. And I can. Yes, I can reach my wrist and keep my legs engaged.

Details count. 
In every profession details count. When my dentist sets an injection at the wrong place my face can get paralyzed. When a photographer cuts the feet in the picture, the picture becomes a snapshot, probably not a master piece. If an accountant works sloppy the result of the company might be wrong and this might lead to wrong investment decisions, i.e.

The best people in all professions know that details are important. Here one can distinguish those who swim in the middle from those who are on top.
If one strives to be better than average one must take care of the details, no matter what it is.

Also in yoga details count: 
1. Repeating wrong movements again and again might lead to injuries (I know yoginis who injured themselves that way).
2. Some poses are not possible if I wouldn't take care of the details. For instance when jumping forward the weight moves rather to the index finger. The hands press into the floor. This is a detail yet it distinguishes if this vinyasa is possible or not.
Even dristhis can decide if a pose is doable or not. When I practice utthita parsvasahita (standing pose with leg at the side) I keep my eyes steadily to the side, I gaze at a dristhi. If I move my eyes, I start wobbling in more than 50%, what I don't want.

I'm very happy that MSch draws my attention to the details that need to get adjusted. From now on I hold my wrist in paschimottanasana C, because I can.

One must of course also take care of the details by oneself. Not everything can be shown again and again. Self-study is part of the game.

It's Sunday, it's a moon day, I could skip the practice, but I'll practice. Sunday is the only day where I practice alone.

No comments: