Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Less is more


I practice primary and second series till supta vajrasana these days at the Airyoga.
This is no excessive demand nor feel I underchallenged. I personally prefer having too much on my plate than the opposite. Yet what I practice these days is exactly what's best for me. I have energy to work on back bending at the end. This is my weakness. No, I'm not left alone here. I get adjustments, excellent ones. MSch realized that my back bending improved already, I realized this, too. It feels good when I do kapotasana. I reach my limits, stay there and breathe deeply. Yet what makes the difference is the adjustment. I move the body upwards and then backwards, very slowly, with as many breaths as I need,  till  my hands reach the knees of MSch. When I'm stabilized I work with my legs and try to lengthen and open the chest. I engage my bandhas and I get out of this pose as it shall be.
It feels good when I move back into urdhva dhanurasana. I'm helped here, too. What a luxury.

My greediness to do more and more asanas is gone. I love to intensify my practice. Less is more for the time being.

A prop or several props can never substitute an adjustment from an experienced teacher. I work without props. Ashtanga yoga is practiced without props. I know that it can help to use blocks and straps, especially if one practices alone.

The main disadvantages that I see when using props: 
1. Flow is interrupted. A speciality of Ashtanga yoga is the vinyasa count. When using props the correct breathing must be neglected.
2. The danger is to get dependent on props. I still need the wall when I do pincha mayurasana. It would have been better to learn falling.

Using props belongs to another yoga style,  it belongs to Iyengar yoga. I'm no more a  fan of mixing the different styles too much.
An example of another area: Gestern war ich chilling. Das war so cool. Bye-bye, cu.....ach kommst du morgen auch. Great.
The German language has a lot of English words in the meantime. It's not a good style to blend the languages. The message becomes unclear as well. Not everybody speaks English. How to apply the correct grammar? Either one speaks English or one speaks German. Using a language is not only using different words. It's another way of being. We view the world differently when speaking and thinking in another language.

It's the same with the different yoga styles. To blend the styles doesn't compensate the weaknesses of a style. It's perhaps like cooking. A bit of salt might improve a soup, when using too much it's spoilt. To look over the rim of the plate might be helpful. Few props here and then, why not, but one shall use it with great care. It can spoil the yoga soup.

I rediscover primary, too. I focus on the vinyasas, jumping back and forward between the asana. I trust that this will improve, too.

Let me summarize: I feel so very good. I feel so very happy about the Mysore classes in the morning at 6:30 with MSch. Life cannot be better.

5 comments:

Kitharo said...

It's great to hear that your practice is evolving in this beautiful way. It sounds like you have even more fun with Ashtanga than before. A welcoming shala is such a luxery, I'm happy that you've found Airyoga :-)

Sunny greetings

Julian

Ursula Preiss said...

Yes, so it is. I'm enthusiastic. Ashtanga yoga life is perfect.

Where is the sun, Julian?????

Very cordially greetings to you. Ursula

yulang said...

Hi there, it's me again!
I also like adjustments. A good teacher helps you to find the way and is there to supervise if everything goes in the correct direction. But i think sometimes it is also nice to develop one's strength by trying it oneself afterwards. Looking back, there are a bunch of things i managed to do when i was practicing myself, maybe otherwise i never get to know, ah, i can do this now.

And considering M is getting more and more occupied with other students as well, I'd better train ourselves to be independent "to some extent". Haha.

Kitharo said...

I wish people who think Ashtanga is boring would read your entusiastic blogs... and you are close to your 10th year, right?

Frankfurt - Sun all day :-) maybe it'll visit Munich soon, too!

Ursula Preiss said...

You're so right and you really look ahead, dear Lang.

Ashtanga yoga prepares to practice alone. It's a totally different experience to practice alone at home than to go to a yoga class.
I want to practice on Sundays at home to keep up the discipline.

The longer we practice the more we must also learn to be independant from help. I see this, too. Oh yes, we have to become more and we will.

Let's prepare mentally to get less attention one day. Nevertheless right now I'm so enjoying the luxury of so many excellent adjustments. :) I realize how I progress.

Till tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to seeing you again.