Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Drinking and smoking during yoga classes



Can I imagine Krichnamacharya sipping chai while teaching or practicing yoga? NO
Can I imagine B.K.S. Iyengar practicing yoga and drinking at the same time? LOL
I never saw a cup of tea or a beer next to P. Jois on the many pictures I've seen him. 

Sometimes newcomers think they won't survive a yoga class if they don't drink.
I promise, they will survive.
It's not necessary to bring your own. 
Drinking interrupts the own practice, it disturbs the others. 

I even know yoga teachers who sip tea during classes. They need refills and whatever.
Yet multi-tasking is not the goal in yoga, but focus. Teachers are role models, they influence the atmosphere in a class. Teaching should be enough challenge. It is.  
If it happens that yoga teachers sip tea during a yoga class the class becomes a tea party, but only few are allowed to drink. Hahaha.....


No drinking, no eating, no phone calls, no smoking during a yoga class. 
Oh, how strict I am today. Hahaha.....and I would so love to smoke a Gaulloise blonde before urdhva dhanurasana. 




6 comments:

Anna said...

And no incense sticks burning while we're all deep breathing and choking to death.

Ursula Preiss said...

LOL, yes.

I remember yoga classes 30 years ago, where we practiced in a smoky room. We could scarcly see each others. Ah, the atmosphere......hahaha....

yulang said...

Haha, that guy today was really funny. I guess maybe he is also a little bit nervous himself coming to a new class.

Ursula Preiss said...

I don't know. He seemed to be thirsty like hell. Lol.

It's nice to see newcomers. Slowly they learn asanas and good behaviour, too. :)

Globie said...

LOL at home I sometimes have a tea break after Navasana. Never at the Shala, someone would quickly take my space.

Ursula Preiss said...

Hahaha.....then you better not sip your tea.....