Thursday, September 26, 2013

I strengthened my discipline muscle


Primary happened today at home. I had focus. Nevertheless I needed 2 hours and even a bit more for my practice. I spiced up the series with 2 asanas of third series. Both were twists, viranchyasana B and purna matsyendrasana. At the end after the 2 hours I added pranayama and I meditated 10 min. Then I showered and to be realistic, my practice lasted rather 3 hours, without blogging. I loved to practice. I sweated a lot. As always it bettered my mood and also my opinion about myself. Hahahaha......

Before practice I found a list of goals written 2009. Two out of the 3 goals were accomplished. I'm able to do supta kurmasana and I practice first and second series. The third goal was to stand up from urdhva dhanurasana. I'm working on it. It got better. Yet my right shoulder is still not 100% OK. This is the reason why I withdraw from group sessions. The adjustments of the assistants are dangerous. This shoulder injury lasts  months now. It is as it is. My focus when I go to classes are not to get helped, but to take advantage of the group session and to get into flow. I love to be part of the community. All situations change. I should be able to adjust.
A good teacher can make a difference. That I'm able to do supta kurmasana is because I had M as my teacher since a few years. He "allowed" me to do second series. I was not stopped. Eka pada sirsasana (one leg behind the head) finally brought me closer to supta kurmasana. When M moved to Munich teaching Ashtanga yoga here, I realized what an opportunity this was. I changed my life to profit from his teaching. We were only few yoginis and learning was intensive. Now we're so much more. For me it was clear that he'd attract yoginis. The shala is crowded these days. I'm thankful because from him I learned basic tools, like engaging the legs. He showed me the vinyasas and correct vinyasa count. I should be able to be content with a bit less attention now. I know how to practice correctly on my own, thanks to him.
The situation online has changed as well. There are so many good teacher who share their knowledge online. This pushes me forward as well.
Focus when I practice is myself and not what's going on around me.

Primary: Every day I will work on standing up from urdhva dhanurasana. I seem to be closer than ever. I know this, because I practice this pose against the wall. My hands reach the wall much deeper than a few months ago.
Another goal are the vinyasas. There is a long way behind me and a long way in front of me.

The first step is done. I think my goals are doable during my life time. Ha.


1 comment:

D said...

You should check David Garrigues YouTube videos on standing up from Urdhva Dhanurasana - they helped me a lot. The bent arm position on the way up makes all the difference