Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Utthita trikonasana - my pictures help me a lot to improve the asanas


Yesterday in the morning I shot this picture in the corridor. I went to the corridor as I didn't like to cut my arms. In my rooms it's difficult to create so much distance so that the whole posture can be seen in a picture.

What do I learn from the above picture?
1. I think the body is not really parallel to the wall. The upper shoulder could move a bit more backwards. Then the twist is deeper.
2. My head position could improve, too. The chin should move straight to the right or left side. The head should not move backwards. This is neck flexibility!

I see also good points of course:
- The feet stand correct.
- The upper body is straigth, movement comes from the hips.
- The hands are closed, also the thumb is close to the hand and doesn't stand away.
- Leg muscles are engaged, so are the bandhas........ok I could go on.....

Almost desperately I searched a location yesterday where I could take pictures of myself in yoga poses, a place that allows to capture the entire body. I took my tripod, my yoga mat, my remote control, my camera, put it on my bicycle and I drove around. The Pinakothek der Moderne came into my mind. This building is under construction. I hoped that less people would be there. It has a roof in front of the entrance and this would guarantee that there is no sun. Sun is good for the heat, but to practice in bright sunlight is awful for the practice and the pictures.



Practicing alone most of the time I must be creative. I must find out how I can give myself adjustments. The first picture shows how I manage to open my shoulder a bit more and how I move the upper body parallel to the wall. 
It remains to work on the head position. 



2 comments:

Anna said...

I love the starkness here - with a splash of colour - perfect. Here in Toronto, I am trying to observe my 'wooden stick' of a wrist and make no judgement - just observe. Inspiration from your blog... Each day that I do the physio exercises there is a tiny bit more movement. How I would love to be doing downward dog...

Ursula Preiss said...

You do the right thing. Action without thinking, but observing. Aiming for tiny steps is also helpful.

Yeah, you'll soon be in downward dog, you will!!!!