Thursday, August 15, 2013

Parivrtta Trikonasana


 I love the performance of the asana parivrtta trikonasana. It's a balancing pose and it's a twist.
A challenge is to keep the hips straight.

1. If one wants to balance it's always very helpful to ground. Those body parts that are on the ground have to be firmly there. It gives me additional stability here when I push the front foot forward, the back foot backwards.
2. Additional stability in balancing poses can be reached when engaging the leg muscles and the bandhas.
3. It's always about creating room. Before entering the pose I lengthen the body. It happens with an inhaling.
4. With an exhaling one moves into the posture. All movements are initiated by the breath and most movements start with the hips.
5. In a workshop I learned a trick how to keep the hips parallel. I move forward straight. My arms are spread to the sides. When no forward bending is possible anymore, I pose the one hand beside the foot, taking care not to move the hips. Then I swing the straight arm backwards and upwards.
6. Fingers are together.


3 comments:

Anna said...

Just looking at your wrists makes me feel sick with pain!

Have a lovely day, Ursula. (Shame E. doesn't have work in Toronto!)

Ursula Preiss said...

Dearest Anna, there are many many asanas where you can keep your wrist straight. Find them out.

Focus on the breath and meditation. You wanted to do this on this rock. Enjoy. Improve your imagination, visualization. There is a lot to do.

I wish you flexible wrists as soon as possible. You'll get there....

Anna said...

You're right.