Saturday, August 03, 2013

Mysore classes, home practices


I had 2 excellent primary practices in a row, one at home, one in a Mysore class.

At home I do extras like split pose. I repeat poses. I work on the vinyasas. If it's not possible because of these extras to do all the asanas within 2 hours it's fine. I finish my practice then and I'm happy because I know I worked on the 20% that makes the difference.

In a Mysore class I focus on flow. This is a concentration exercise. It seems that my practice in a Mysore class is very intensive. I know this because I slept again deeply yesterday in the afternoon.

I'm able to perform all the asanas of primary. Yesterday I dropped back 3 times again. It was doable without much fear.
The weakness of primary is still the vinyasas and to stand up from urdhva dhanurasana. So much patience is needed. yet it all seems doable. The mind is ready, the body still has to do the work.

On Sunday is the last led class before M's summer break. I'll go. It has been ages since I had a led class.

Sometimes in the evening thoughts came up to practice a tiny bit yet the body feels lame.

It's interesting to be in a Mysore class. If one wants it or not one realizes how the others exercise: Some betray themselves, have understood nothing, no matter how many years of yoga they have behind themselves. They take breaks, talk with others. There is no rhythm, no breathing. No effort can be seen.
There is also the other department. These yoginis work hard. They face the practice. They search the limit, they sweat. This can be seen.
I know that everybody does what's possible. We're the flute not the player.

To approach the own limits closer and closer is an ability. It has also something to do how good one knows oneself and this has something to do with experience.

It seems to me that the intention to do the practice differs a lot. It goes from having some fun via meeting people via getting fit and beautiful to enlightenment.

For me this practice keeps me fit and healthy. That's not all. It guides me. It liberates me. All actions get stored in the body and mind. With the asana practice my body and mind gets liberated from past events. This liberation allows me to be more open and flexible to life and what it has to offer in every fresh moment.

I won't practice today. A day off is good. I've so much to do. E will return from a trip. I've the morning to clean our flat and to make it comfortably here. It's necessary.

6 comments:

the bakers wife said...

I wanted the say that I have been reading your blog for a few weeks only, and it is wonderful.
I am new to ashtanga practice, and have learnt so much from your blog- about the asanas, but also to have patience, be calm, be present for the practice.
Words you have written I carry with me into class. They are good, strong words to remind me that yoga is not a competition, that a practice cannot be mastered quickly, that is not even the point. Words to help me carry yoga into my life.
Thank-you for your effort in this space. Blogging is not easy to do. Your work is valued, I'm sure I'm not alone.

Debb said...

"All actions get stored in the body and the mind"

You are so wise! That is so true! I think I've stored a lot! And, I need some liberation.. off to my mat..
Namaste, dear U...

Ursula Preiss said...

Thank you for writing this.

I try to keep contact with my readers, not always this is possible. Your feed-back is appreciated.

What you write about my posts is also what I want to communicate.

I want to wish you a long breath and much fun. The trip is worth to go.

Ursula Preiss said...

This is why it's sometimes painful. This is also why we try to avoid the effort sometimes, because we cling to old patterns, old stories. To work through the stories and every day a new one is created, is a big relief. :)

All the best for you, dearest Debb.

Anna said...

All the years you've been writing this blog and I've been reading, I've noticed you develop your strength of mind as well as your body. Your yoga practice has definitely enhanced your life skills and this is what inspires me.

Ursula Preiss said...

What a compliment, Anna.

I'm convinced the practice is worth doing it!