Monday, June 24, 2013

Baddha konasana, the forth core asana of primary


Baddha konasana has 3 slightly different positions A, B and C. On the picture is baddha konasana A. Important is the opening of the hips. One always speaks of the opening of the hips, yet what is it? It means that the possibility of movements of the legs enlarges. If you remember the 3 other core asanas of primary (marichyasana D, supta kurmasana, garbha pindasana) you see that the flexibility of the movement of the legs is exercised in all directions. 
Whenever I exercise a new asana, I first try to understand the hips. They are the center. From here also the movements begin. In the above pose this means it's not so important to force the chin to the floor, but to move forward with straight back (or almost straight back). Only this has an effect on the hips. 




Upavishta konasana A: My strategy during the last months was to exercise the weak asanas of primary every day before the middle part. I think this strategy was successful. I exercised upavishta konasana much more often that I would have done it otherwise. Here is the history of this asana. I'm now able to bring the chin to the floor, I think without cheating. The back remains straight. There is still potential, yet I see progress. 




From upavishta konasana A one has to get into upavishta konasana B, as elegantly as possible, that is with straight legs. I should film again. I'm rather good at this little vinyasa.

The first core asana of second series is also a twist. It's pashasana. Yet it's not only a twist, the challenge is that it's also a balancing pose. More about this in one of the next posts.

2 comments:

Ideiafix said...

Dear Ursula

Your posts keep helping me, I like the way you explain the evolution of the asanas because you keep it simple but go to the point.

Thanks!

Ursula Preiss said...

If this is so, dear reader, then it's worth the time that I spend writing my blog. And it's a lot of time that I spend blogging...:)

Happy practices. Namaste