Friday, April 12, 2013

Tips from my readers: how to get going


Many of us have a lot of knowledge what is good for us. For instance we know that it's good to practice Ashtanga yoga (or anything else) on a daily basis. To get from thinking to doing we have found different methods.
My readers were so kind to share there tips and tricks in the comment section of my last post. Here they are:

Tracey wrote:
My current "trick" is that I have decided to commit to yoga everyday and I do this because I want to be healthy and strong both physically and mentally. So I keep that in mind throughout the day and it makes me feel good about doing yoga rather than dread the exercise. Although it has taken quite awhile to go from knowing yoga is good and that I need to do it to somehow being more engaged with yoga and knowing in my body how I would like to feel at the end of the day.

I have also decided that it may help me to be more engaged in my practice if I regularly read a bit about yoga from a book or a blog, just to keep in touch with other peoples thoughts and practice. This way practicing yoga is at the forefront of my mind and I give myself the opportunity to be inspired by others.

Finally, I have decided that I just have to do anything; a class or a DVD, whichever inspires me or seems easiest at the time if that's what it takes. Importantly, it doesn't have to be the more difficult DVD or a long one it can be anything, just so long as I do something. It's helping so far!

Cat wrote: 
My trick is a combination of established habit, and remembering how I feel if I haven't practiced as much as I'd like in any given week. I try to really relish in the moments where I feel like I've made progress while in a challenging asana, or just after savasana when I realize that my mind is free and clear!

And, if I'm being honest, your blog also inspires me to practice :) Thanks!

Anna wrote:
It helps me to NOT think about but go like a robot from my bed into my exercise clothes and off to exercise without "discussing it" with myself. Once I discuss it, I find ways to not do it. Even though I KNOW I feel so much better afterwards... Peculiar human mind!

Debb wrote:
This may be a bit of a negative motivation, but when I don't really want to get on my mat I think about the very unflexible people I know past the age of 60, and I KNOW I do not want to become like that. I have some great teachers in my life - teaching me how NOT to be (haha).. I then send them some san kalpha energy (dedication) at the beginning of my practice. Always be grateful for the teacher...
In gratitude to you, dear U...

Denise wrote:
I love all the comments, as I love Ursula's post. Many times my mind make me little tricks to escape the practice. Well, I go for my mat not hearing it! I use to beging the practiçe with some fluid and soft movements of my neck, sholders and knees, then I start. I practice alone, so for me all contact with yoga blogs are so important. I learn a lot from them. Ah! I finish my practice thanking all the greats yoga masters that lived beforme me, and deeply thank them for this beautiful filosofy that I have the honor to live. Thank you all!


Thank you all for sharing this knowledge. I'm so amazed how experienced we all are.
This is what I love re Ashtanga yoga. One is part of a very supporting group. Namaste.

No comments: