Monday, April 08, 2013

Only 60 % was possible


I curse. I pulled my left side of my lower back again. This time it happened not when practicing pashasana, but utthita parsvottanasana.I moved my body very slowly in the position, bandhas engaged. I write I pulled something, but if feels more as if a tendom or a muscle got out of alignement.

Movement is a universal remedy. I kept on practicing, very slowly, with 0 ambition. I think this was the best what I could do. I hoped that everything would get in alignement again. Some asanas like leg behind head poses were not possible. I did preparation asanas.


The pose utthita parsvottanasana is not a difficult pose for me. I even was very carefully. It should happen.

This morning I overslept. No hurry, I thought and didn't even attempt to be on time to the Mysore class. A home practice was planned. I was not so pleased that I got up so late, yet it's not a tragedy, it's luxury that I can afford these times. I dawdled in front of the PC, now where I had time and I found a picture of Bob Dylon with a text, probably a quote by him: A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. "Wants" is emphasized. I was not yet on my mat when I realized what nonsense I had published. (Deleted already. I'll surely find a picture of him without  text.)
Nobody does what he/she wants to do. We do what we have to do re our fate, our genes, conditioning and what happens around us. There is no choice.

All is a happening. It was not my choice to pull my lower back. What a painful reminder, a pointer to what it means to be liberated. We are not the doer.
Ramesh Balsekar in "Who cares", page 158: The supposed doership of the "me" is nothing but an illusion. Normal daily activities, continued without a sense of doership, are the best possible preparation for sudden enlightenment to happen."

I bathed to relax my muscles after my practice of 90 min. It felt good. I smiled when I soaped my body with lavander shower gel. I got reminded on a sweet moment during our trip to France. On our way home we stopped at a parking space. We opened the trunk and searched in the plastic bags for our lavander parfums. Then we scented us. And laughed. We're so into lavander. Hahaha.....

To bath felt good. Cheerfulness was still felt when I put lotion on my luxury body afterwards. Ah, with lavander scent. :)

Yoga is so much more than asanas. Pranayama and medition is on my list. This could be an idea for tonight as I'm alone at home.


5 comments:

Anna said...

Many mornings I drop lavender essential oil on my bed sheets and pillow.

Ursula Preiss said...

Wow, this is a good idea.

I'm sure this creates wonderful dreams. :)

Kitharo said...

Oh the back again :-( hope it gets better soon.

You know, some teachers say that a recurring injury in a specific region of the body could mean that there's a lesson yoga is going to teach you. It's a little esoteric, but I really enjoy all these bodywork theories, were specific pain/injuries represent emotions or samskaras...

Hope your samskara clears soon ;-)

Ursula Preiss said...

Yeah, dear Julian, this was what I thought, too: Again the back, oh no.

After these long hours in the car last week my body got perhaps stiffer than I wanted.
I'm recovering. This is the good thing and I also think that I can thank my yoga practice for healing fast.

Pain guides me, for sure.

Yeah, clear samskara soon, this I hope...thank you. :)

Have a nice evening.....

Do you have more time now for your practice?

Kitharo said...

True,long hours in a car are hard for the back, too. Somehow we never think of how important the spine is, until it hurts...

The good thing probably is that you're experienced with back pain and as far as I remember you usually make it disappear pretty quickly :-)

Oh yes, I've more time to practice now and it makes such a difference. It's not always a full practice, sometimes I only have around half an hour/45 minutes, but even the Suryas + Closing Postures + Alternative Nostril breathing make such a difference on mood and physical wellbeing. I really never want to give up yoga :-)

Have a nice day - Julian