Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My 2 little tricks


1.The first trick: It brings me on the mat when I think that I only lay on my block backwards for a while. In the beginning this is not so pleasant. Soon it is. I relax. To stretch the body backwards in a passive way wakes me up. I focus on the breath. It comes the moment where the position is relaxing and when I get bored.
Then I stand up and bow forward. Slowly. Then I'm ready.

Mentally I've separated the series in 7 parts:
1. Surya A,
2. surya B,
3. standing sequence,
4.  first half of the middle part,
5. second part of the middle part,
6. closing sequence,
7. savasana

My goal is to do one part after the other. When one part is completed I think I could stop already, but of course I go on. I realize that my concentration has improved. I don't take breaks anymore after the suryas or after the standing sequence. I want to move on. Perhaps also because it got all a bit easier.

2. The second trick is that I have the book by Sweeney on my sofa. Of course I know the series by heart. To see the pictures motivates me to go on when I get weak (mentally or physically). It looks all so easy when  Matthew Sweeney performs the asanas.

When I practice alone I add asanas I want to work on after the standing sequence and the middle part. I think that a few asanas of the first series need attention as they prepare third series asanas:
The asanas that I repeat:
1. upavistha konasana A
2. supta parsvasahita
3. coming up with straight legs to urdhva mukha paschimottanasana (a vinyasa) It's possible to do it, but the skill is still volatile.
4. the splits (forward and sidewards)

I wanted to practice at home today. The group is so stimulating and I wanted to take it easy due to my back. It feels better but I know I have to take care today.

What's your trick to get on the mat?

11 comments:

Tracey said...

My current "trick" is that I have decided to commit to yoga everyday and I do this because I want to be healthy and strong both physically and mentally. So I keep that in mind throughout the day and it makes me feel good about doing yoga rather than dread the exercise. Although it has taken quite awhile to go from knowing yoga is good and that I need to do it to somehow being more engaged with yoga and knowing in my body how I would like to feel at the end of the day.

I have also decided that it may help me to be more engaged in my practice if I regularly read a bit about yoga from a book or a blog, just to keep in touch with other peoples thoughts and practice. This way practicing yoga is at the forefront of my mind and I give myself the opportunity to be inspired by others.

Finally, I have decided that I just have to do anything; a class or a DVD, whichever inspires me or seems easiest at the time if that's what it takes. Importantly, it doesn't have to be the more difficult DVD or a long one it can be anything, just so long as I do something. It's helping so far!

Ursula Preiss said...

This is so good, Tracey that I'd like to quote you in the next post. I hope this is OK for you.

Your comment is very inspiring. Thank you for taking the time to write.

Tracey said...

That is absolutely fine! I have only just discovered your blog and I look forward to reading more. T

Ursula Preiss said...

Thank you for reading.

You can find me also on facebook if this is more convenient for you.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-yoga-blog/118440314872751?fref=ts

A link is on the right side of my blog.

Cat said...

My trick is a combination of established habit, and remembering how I feel if I haven't practiced as much as I'd like in any given week. I try to really relish in the moments where I feel like I've made progress while in a challenging asana, or just after savasana when I realize that my mind is free and clear!

And, if I'm being honest, your blog also inspires me to practice :) Thanks!

Ursula Preiss said...

Thank you, cat.

Perhaps I may add your comment to a blog post,too.

We've so much knowledge together, this is so amazing.

Anna said...

It helps me to NOT think about but go like a robot from my bed into my exercise clothes and off to exercise without "discussing it" with myself. Once I discuss it, I find ways to not do it. Even though I KNOW I feel so much better afterwards... Peculiar human mind!

Ursula Preiss said...

Thank you very much, Anna.

I'd like to publish your comment, too.

Debb said...

This may be a bit of a negative motivation, but when I don't really want to get on my mat I think about the very unflexible people I know past the age of 60, and I KNOW I do not want to become like that. I have some great teachers in my life - teaching me how NOT to be (haha).. I then send them some san kalpha energy (dedication) at the beginning of my practice. Always be grateful for the teacher...
In gratitude to you, dear U...

Ursula Preiss said...

Thank you very much Debb.

I agree 100%: To know what one doesn't want can be a great motivator.

I hope you've nothing against it when I quote you in the next post.

I have so wonderful readers. This fills me with great joy. :)

denise said...

I love all the comments, as I love Ursula's post. Many times my mind make me little tricks to escape the practice. Well, I go for my mat not hearing it! I use to beging the practiçe with some fluid and soft movements of my neck, sholders and knees, then I start. I practice alone, so for me all contact with yoga blogs are so important. I learn a lot from them. Ah! I finish my practice thanking all the greats yoga masters that lived beforme me, and deeply thank them for this beautiful filosofy that I have the honor to live. Thank you all!