Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Guilt and Ashtanga yoga


Do I really feel guilt when I don't practice Ashtanga yoga 6 days a week?
Not really.

I distinguish the reasons why I miss a practice:
All these reasons can be excuses. Who knows?
Yet here are some:
- Other things are more important. Yes, this is possible.
- Laziness.
- Lack of discipline.
- The body needs a day off.

I don't feel guilt, but I regret not to have practiced when it was laziness. Rarely I'm enthusiastic when dawdling wins over practicing.

I know that it's better to practice daily, better, because it's easier.
In addition progress can be seen faster.

I've been always so that I regretted if I missed a practice that used to be important to me. I remember the times when I practiced Aikido, daily. Once a woman wanted to go to the theatre with me. She almost begged me to accompany her, yet I didn't like to miss my Aikido class. Looking back I think I could have really made an exception. I've given up Aikido.
Also 3 decades ago, when my body was much more flexible, I could feel when I had a day off. Quickly the body became stiff. But it got flexible again fast. This has changed now. My feeling: quickly my body gets stiff.  To get flexible again I've to work hard.
Same is with the weight: I eat a praliné and next day my weight punishes me with 2 pounds more. To get rid of the golden hip I need days. (just a joke, hahaha, but the tendency is true).

Yesterday I read in the book "Yoga, The spirit and practie of moving into stillness" by Erich Schiffmann. Here one can find the 1% theory. I got reminded that yoga, all styles have the goal to find peace in life. Practicing asanas helps, yet it's not the only goal to stand in handstand for 5 breaths i.e..
Sidemark: Also Erich recommends a daily practice.

This in mind, I'll step on the mat for second series.

All my posts remind me: It's all a happening. Who can feel guilty? The "self", "I" is just a concept. The self is a combination of genes, conditioning,

PS: Thank you for buying your amazon products via my blog. Links are on the right side of this blog.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I've noticed some of these things too. I think the intensity subsides a bit as we age. I, too, look back at my intense commitment to something that now I realise didn't even matter. I am understanding that we go through life thinking we are so special and clever; doing things that are so special and clever - but really we're just ordinary individuals doing stuff that's mostly unimportant. Indeed, that's been the theme of your blog and what has made it a very valuable counterpoint to the "I'm so special, look at me" type of blog that is everywhere on the internet. Just keep on doing or not doing daily yoga - it's all what it is. I keep reading your blog because your honesty is so compelling and your observations are always interesting and helpful.

Ursula Preiss said...

Thank you, Anna. :)

If I can express what you wrote, I'm indeed happy.

It's such a liberataion to know "life is a happening".

Christine said...

I am happy to see that there are some real yoginis (worthy of the name :)) out there. I have been practicing for years and have come through it similarly. It is Georg Feurstein who said (taught by his guru): In order to achieve Real Yoga one must drop all philosophy, all practice including asana. Carry on! Peace! Christine (http://yogafirsthand.blogspot.ca)

Ursula Preiss said...

Thanks for commenting, Christine. I added you to my blog list. There are not so many people who practice decades. Keep blogging. I think it fits together very well.