Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Fine-tuning my time management



Yesterday I practiced second series. It has been my first practice of 2013. The festive days could be still felt in the bones, muscles and joints, yet I did rather well. This morning, while the water was running through the coffee filter, I bowed forward to check if I was overstretched. No, not a bit overstretched.

I measured the time. I wanted to know how long it takes to practice primary. It was 2 hours without savasana. Mmmmmmmm..........it's time well spent. The time on the mat is precious time for me. It's very time-consuming, this requires that I'm smart with my available time, the 24 hours.

'Focus' is a key word if one wants to be prolific. I usually set a timer for 25 minutes and then I focus on a task. These tasks might be chores, reading, journaling, writing a blog or working on one of my other projects. I realized that it helped me a lot, nevertheless the feeling not having done enough still arises. Many things left undone. One reason surely was that when I worked on chores, I did nothing else but this: 25 min, a break and then again 25 min. Other tasks got neglected.
Currently I'm reading a book by Chris Crouch "Getting more done: 10 steps for outperforming busy people". (Thanks for buying it via my blog in case you think it could be useful for you, too). It's a short book, but this is in my opinion the work of an author to filter the information and to write down what is essential. In that book I found a good tip. We all have different sort of activities or projects. It might be possible to work on 3 different projects every day. The tip: "Begin working on your No. 1 priority no later than 10 a.m., your No. 2 priority no later than 2 p.m., and your no. 3 priority no later than 4 p.m." (Getting more done: 10 steps for outperforming busy people by Chris Crouch, page 19, loc. 117-18).
This is indeed a rather flexible structure of a day. It helps to work on different projects on one day. The feeling to accomplish something might increase.

My first No. 1 priority today is my yoga practice. It's still before 10 a.m. I don't want to be sloppy with my yoga practice on day 2 of 2013 already. Let's start.

No comments: