Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The greatest enemy of women


It's housework. Chores.
They are a bottomless pit.

Currently I'm reading Alice Schwarzer's Lebenslauf (in German language available only). This book is a recommendation. It reveals sides of Alice that are not known in the public. It's a document of the Zeitgeist of the last decades. In addition she knows how to write. The book is full of anecdotes, that make me smile, even laugh. The story how Udo Jürgens was behind her alone is worth reading the book.

Yesterday night I read that in the beginning of the womens liberation movement, housework was a topic. (I remember, I remember). Till now it's the unpaid work women do, worldwide. Me, too. to be honest, it's my job 100%. I don't think that this work is that awful. When I clean I enjoy the work afterwards, because I can see a difference. Housework challenges me to get better in organizing basics of my life. I think everybody should be able to do these tasks. I love to cook my own food, to buy ingredients and to clean is simply part of it.

Nevertheless I see the danger of it. One can do chores up to 5 hours a day or even longer. I clean my windows twice a year, I know women who do it once a week. I want to limit these activities. What I see is that 2 hours are necessary every day with cooking or preparing simple meals.

But why is this the greatest enemy?
Time is limited. If a woman wants to be succesfull in a job she must neglect chores.

I have 2 time-consuming activities: Ashtanga yoga and chores. These are activites beside any jobs that could bring money.
To be conscious of this is a relief. I am happy with this balanced life. Yet I see, from time to time chores or yoga must be neglected to have more time for anyhting else that is worth doing.

----------------------------------

This morning I was tired. My body was in embryo position. This made it more difficult to get up. Hahaha......
E. woke me up when he left the house. I felt not able to get up and enjoyed another hour in bed. What luxury. I'll practice at home!!!!!!!! This is a calling!

1 comment:

Anna said...

I just know exactly what you mean! Chores can fill the major part of the day. I like clean and organised home but... sometimes I remember when I was a high-flier in the PAID labour force... Sigh.