Saturday, December 01, 2012

Saturday.....


Yesterday I enjoyed the luxury not to have to do anything, not even yoga. It's always amazing how much gets done when I don't practice. As long as I practice 3 times a week my world is still OK. Nothing is to worrying about then.

One of my goals of the year 2012 has been to learn the moon sequence by M. Sweeney. This is what I could imagine for today. I love to know asana sequences that are challenging, I also love to know asanas sequences that are not so challenging for the days when the energy level is not so high.

Me too I'm reading Tim Ferris book "The 4-hour chef". (Thank you for buying it via my blog.) I'm not that fast to finish this brick. I love the question that stands behind the book: How to learn anything fast.

First insight: The method is more important than the recipes.
I try to apply this insight to Ashtanga yoga and I agree. The correct breathing, dristi, engaging the bandhas is more important than to learn the 70th asana. The method allows to do the asanas much better and easier than if someone doesn't apply the method. Balancing without engaging the bandhas is so much more difficult to give one example.

Second insight: A few tools are needed, no matter if you cook or what ever one wants to learn.
Most cooking tools that are mentioned I have. I think he forgot to mention a rice cooker, one of my favorite kitchen tools. I bought a grater for ginger that he recommended.
For Ashtanga yoga I think it's necessary to have the best mat. On the picture is my travel mat, it's lighter as my regular one and therefore also useful. Nevertheless this mat doesn't stay flat on the floor. This makes a practice, especially the vinyasas more than difficult.
Ashtanga yoga is without props. Nevertheless in order to improve fast, some props might help. I'm not willing to buy a back bending bridge for about 700 USD. No. Some more blocks could also help to bend backwards passively.

Third insight: How to get going? How to accomplish anything? Insights are only one part. Practice is important no matter what one wants to learn. To set reasonable goals and deadlines are important. To focus on the 20% important things makes progress fast.

Tim is not vegan. Nevertheless I learn a lot about cooking, too. I have a collection of cooking books here. Hundreds of cooking books to be honest and often the recipes are useless, because there are too many ingredients. Sometimes the preparation needs hours. I don't have so much time. Also vegan cooking book writers make the mistake that they ignore the season. Broccoli and asparagus don't fit together. Broccoli is a winter vegetable, asparagus is available in spring. Many recipes in cooking books are never tested. One must learn to cook and not to follow recipes.

Buying and eating vegetables and fruit of the season has advantages: it's cheaper and tastes better.

Here is my list what to eat in winter:
Fruit:
Apples, pears, mandarins, kiwi, avocado all citrus fruit, banana, pineapple, pomegranate, khaki, grapefruit.
Vegetables:
Cauliflower, broccoli. Brussels sprouts, carrots, chicory, red beet, sunchoke, field salad. fennel , black salsify, pumpkin.
The list is not complete. Ask your fruit and vegetable dealer for more ideas.

If you don't have a kindle, you can buy it via my blog. Here. They developed it in the last year. I link my book recommendations to the kindle download these days. A kindle was the best buy of last year. Most books are cheaper. When I travel, I have my library in my handbag. It saves space. It saves time. In a minute I have the book on my kindle, I don't have to pick it up at a post office station.
Thank you for buying it via my blog. 

No comments: