Saturday, December 08, 2012

A life like a yoga practice


It's difficult to describe a yoga practice with a few words.
Each practice consists of so many different parts:
- There is the beginning. To start must be mastered first before the show can begin. Sometimes it's easy to start, sometimes it seems impossible to schlepp the body to the mat.
- Everybody has asanas that are easy to perform, others might be a challenge. Feelings vary from being frustrated till being proud and satisfied.
- At the end comes the relaxation pose. To be able to relax is a skill. It can be exercised.
The goal is to focus on the breath. The breath is the master of the mind, B.K.S. Iyengar once said. With an even breath we calm the mind. It's  recommended to observe. With the next breath, with the next movement the situation is new again.

For me life is like a yoga practice. One asana follows after the other. Some are easy to master, some not. Feelings change fast during the course of a day. Also the energy level changes. I observe and focus on the breath.

I got up at 6am. I woke up before the alarm clock could wake me up. First I turn on the heater these winter days. It's so cold here in Germany. Our flat is rather warm what I appreciate. Nevertheless during the night the temperature drops. My second cup of coffee is next to me. It warms me from inside. I stare holes in the air. I remind myself: things happen. Nothing must be done, nothing can be done. It's all a happening.

3 comments:

Anna said...

To start over and over - yes this is my task (to be a vegan and finally stop drinking cow's milk). I always look to you for my inspiration - I want to shed these 'cow's milk' kilos. Another new start today. Ginger tea!

Ursula said...

Don't give up. I fully agree. Get back to vegan eating, it's always good. We don't need cow milk, we are no cow babies, but human beings, grown up.

There is always a new day. Now is the miracle word. Good luck, Anna.

Allen Jackson said...

nice post. I agree you too...