Thursday, August 30, 2012

Rediscovering Ashtanga yoga primary series

Since I've no Internet access at home my breaks during my practice go to zero.

It was an intensive practice this morning. Since I started learning third series I know more and more what's important when I practice this first Ashtanga series.

Jumping backwards, this vinyasa i.e. is important. It's important to learn to swing backwards without touching the floor with the feet.
I wanted to discard my yoga journals. Before throwing them out I flipped throw them and I found a very interesting article on that vinyasa. I found my missing part. When the feet are through the arms still in the air but bent, I didn't know how to go on. I felt stuck. Here is the next step: One has to round the back and one has to press the index fingers against the floor. Belly is in, of course. This together allows to move forward with the upper body and this gives space to take the feet backwards to get into chaturanga dandasana.

This rounded back is also necessary when doing karandavasana, this difficult second series pose. THe rounded back helps to come up again.

Supta parsvasahita is an important pre-exercise for vashishtasana

In sum one can say: more strength more flexibility is needed the more one progresses. The fundamentals can be found already in primary.

Headstand: At the end is headstand and one has to lift the head away from the floor. Then balancing moves to a next level. It's doable. I used the wall as psychological support, but I didn't need it. Next time I'll do it in the middle of the room.

I added forward split and side split.

My timer helped me, too. To hold a pose longer than 5 breaths can help to progress. Upavishta konasana I held for 1 min. For me it makes sense to start modest and to make it more challenging slowly. 

My practice was wonderful. Till now I feel the effect. I feel so good. Relaxed and full of energy at the same time.

Tomorrow I'll practice primary, too. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: