Sunday, June 24, 2012

I was pushed.


I was pushed, too.
Months back 2 people told me more or less clearly that I shouldn't wait for adjustments, also not before karandavasana i.e.. M, my yoga teacher told me that I wouldn't progress if he helps me all the time. It disappointed me and I thought that one of the reasons why I should work alone on karandavasana was because we became so many.
A few days later another yoga teacher told me the same in a long speech. I thought she should be glad that she can adjust me as it's more interesting to give an adjustment for the more advanced poses than again and again supta kurmasana.

But when I react so emotionally, I wait and then I think twice. I know that both people have nothing against me, they were so nice to tell me their view and gave me feed-back.
Can their view help me, I wondered?

After some time I agreed and I see that I was pushed in the right direction even though I was reluctant. It's so easy to let another person do half of the work.
As a beginner in yoga, let's say someone has her first class, everything must be told. This aspirant knows nothing. The longer we practice the more we know and the more we can do on our own.

I don't wait anymore for adjustments, also not when I practice kapotasana or karandavasana. I know enough exercises that  I can do. It's true I'll progress a bit slower, but on the other hand I gained independance. Flow is not interrupted. How the asanas look like is not the only criteria how advanced someone is. I went from being needy to being content.

I always do on my own, what I can do on my own. Also here I must say, I learned that I can do more than I thought I could. Our teacher is so attentive, I still get so much even though I'm not adjusted in kapotasana each time. Working alone on kapotasana or karandavasana is possible.

In class many yoginis wait for adjustments. Some wait so long as if it's a birth right to get an adjustment. The teacher is often busy with other yoginis, sometimes he might not have seen who was waiting longer and he adjusts someone else first. The longer one waits, the stiffer the body becomes again. Impatience comes up. A yogini also exercises contentment, I think then when I see this.

The performance of the asanas is only one criteria how advanced someone is.
The attitude, contentment, concentration are other criteria.

...................

My body felt it already during the practice on Friday. I felt weak and yesterday I got ill: a bit fever, a blocked nose visited me. I slept the entire day. Only during soccer I was hanging on the sofa. Also during the night I slept. Hahahaha, I dreamed of Mr Iyengar, he was in a very good mood and we were searching a place where we could do yoga......hahaha......
I won't go to the led class today. Something softer is on the schedule.


4 comments:

Kitharo said...

It's funny how we think asanas tell us how advanced we are, isn't it? :) Today I feel out of headstand on my back, which never happend..let's talk about finding humility again :D

Hope your cold vanishes soon..as everyone knows, free days are strange for us ashtanga addicts :)

Something to keep you occupied:

http://www.ashtangapraha.cz/2012/06/adjustments-clinic-with-nancy-gilgoff-june-16th-20th/

Ursula said...

:)
Yeah, the balancing asanas show how focused the mind is.....:)
Don't worry, this happens.

If someone practices daily to master the asanas is inevitable. So it can surely be a criteria of being advanced if someone is able to do challenging poses, but it can never be the only criteria. People have different bodies, some are talented some not.
It could be a topic to write about: what is an advanced yogini.


I feel better already and after having read the blog post, I'm very motivated to do at least the sun salutations. Thank you for forwarding this post.

And take care....:)

Kitharo said...

The irony is: seconds before I fell I thought: "This is one picture-perfect, stabel headstand!" :)

Oh yes, advanced yogis... is it the body that tells us we are advanced? The mind? Both? And why do we want to be advanced? It's such a complex topic..write about it :)

No problem, I think sharing great articles, interviews, etc. is a great advantage of blogs and our little Ashtanga community :)

Enjoy your sun salutations :)

Ursula said...

Hahaha, I know this too well.
Sometimes I practice utthita hasta padangusthasana (standing sequence) and I think: oh today it's good.
This was one thought too much already.

The yogini put so much time and effort in this post, I'm glad that I can share it. Indeed this makes the community to a community.