Friday, March 30, 2012

Why do you practice yoga?


Why do you practice yoga, M asked today. It was just an inspiration. Answers popped up. (Not that you dear readers think we have a discussion round during our practice, hahaha. On Fridays we're sometimes a bit loose (OMG, Anna, I hope it's with two oo this time, hahaha)
One woman said that the shala is the only place where her mother never will be. A man comes because of the women. I said: Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders. (It's a quote by Martin Luther and means freely translated: here I stand,  I cannot differently (or I have no choice).) Others want to become a teacher. One man told me lately that he wants to balance other sportive activities.

I love the openness expressed by M. It needn't to be only the asanas. The reasons why we practice can also change over the years. Perhaps one wants to get rid of something, perhaps one wants to get something.
Why shall one reason be better than the other? Every reason can serve something. Why shall wishing to have fun not be equally good than aspiring for liberation? Staying healthy, getting strong, doing something crazy are all reasons, good reasons, no harm is done.

And everything flows.

I think it's a good question, again and again.
It can give new motivation and inspiration.

---------------------------

During the last week I lived like an ascetic in the Himalaya. All the food drugs (we all know the usual suspects) were not existent for me. My body was light, my joints were like oiled today. I had a most wonderful practice. I had the feeling every pose was a bit better than the last time. My concentration was excellent, flow happened.
I strolled home after the practice as if I have won the lottery.

Happy Friday evening. 

9 comments:

Kitharo said...

Morning :) I think he really asked a good question...a question to which there's no clear answer, because, as you said, there are so many reasons. And especially Ashtanga - why do we choose to practice six days a week a pretty tough yoga with the same poses every day?
I really dont' know the answer because it could be a different reason every day, but maybe that's the fun of it :)

Ursula said...

Morning :)

I think many people are attracted by the crazy poses like leg behind head. Some get infected when having had the first class, some might find it too difficult and therefore frustrating.

Reasons might indeed change, like everything else.

Anna said...

LOOSE - gut gemacht! Go to the top of the class :-)

Anna said...

LOOSE - gut gemacht! Go to the top of the class :-)

Anna said...

Here I stand: I can do no differently.

Ursula said...

Thanks for the correct translation: I want to quote Martin Luther more often.

krishy said...

>>The reasons why we practice can also change over the years. Perhaps one wants to get rid of something, perhaps one wants to get something.

I just remembered the lines

some dance to remember
some dance to forget ...

on reading above ... interesting blog

added your blog to http://yoga.dailylib.com

Anna said...

I think it's actually
"Here I stand: I can do no other."

Ursula said...

This sounds good to my German ears. :)