Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dandasana and my rishi series variation


It started very well  this morning. After the standing asanas my Ashtanga yoga practice became a photo session. It is as it is. Asanas happened.  Balancing, forward bending, twists, back bending, I had put my body in all these asanas. I didn't work on my strength. 

Dandasana: During the first years I was so happy when I was finally in dandasana after the sun salutations and the standing asanas. Finally I can sit, I thought. But also dandasana is an active asana. Legs and abdomen are engaged. Heels lift up from the floor. Feet are parallel. Hands push slightly into the floor. One should appreciate these "easy" asanas, too. They allow to focus on the breath without being too much distracted with performing the asana. 
If it's possible to lift the heels also the vinyasa of supta kurmasana should be possible.

On the rishi series: To be honest I don't want to count all the time. I usually feel it how long 5 breaths is. It seems even a bit neurotic to me to count and to count and to count 1 2 3 4 5 till 50 and again.It seems to be compulsive. 
I just counted once how many breaths (inhaling  pause exhaling) I take in one minute. It's 10 breaths. I'm sure I need more when I'm in a challenging asana. 5 minutes would equal 50 breaths, about. To set my timer for 3 minutes could be a good start. With time I can prolong this. If 10 asanas are too much, 5 will do, too. Afterwards I can add pranayama and 10 min meditation. 


Being a yogini is a life style. I was not too lazy today and I prepared  a healthy salad for myself.

My 50mm lens arrived. :)
I'm very curious how this one is. :)
Hehe, picture will follow, tomorrow when I'll have light again.

3 comments:

sukhasanthi said...

Very glad to find out your blog.Till now i have missed this wonderful blog.

sukhasanthi said...

Very glad to find out your blog.Till now i have missed this wonderful blog.

Ursula said...

Oh thank you for the compliment. And much fun reading it.