Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The headstands.....


Supta urdhva pada vajrasana comes before the headstands. The vinyasa of the asana is new the asana itself is the twist bharadvajasana. To show this pose filming is required.

Let's talk about the headstands: 
I liked to practice the second series, but please not the headstands. Not the headstands. This were my feelings.
In the meantime I've developed the attitude:
- If you like the pose enjoy it.
- If you don't like the pose just do it.
(I wish I'd think so in other areas of my life, too.)

I don't omit asanas.

Sometimes I don't like a pose in the beginning, but this can change. I'm not yet a fan of the headstands but they improved my balance a lot. To see a reason why to practice an asana makes it easier to do it.

In the beginning I fell so hard on my toes, I was not convinced. Nowadays I engage my body and I land without the pain.

The headstands were scary first, because I was only on my head for a fracture of a second. It is doable. I inhale deeply and in the little pause between inhaling and exhaling I put my hands where they shall be (pic one on the collage).

The headstands prepare me for the back banding. This surprised me, but it is so. The upward dog is surprisingly deep after the chaturanga dandasana.

In the meantime I'm more on top of my head and not on the front. It's also more even. I was a bit afraid at home as I couldn't role out of the pose here. I don't want to use too much strength, I prefer to balance better and to have it easier therefore.

Tomorrow primary is on the schedule. The vinyasas, the vinyasas.....are the topic.

....I'm not bored to write about my yoga practice. I think this is exciting, hahahaha.....


Sanskrit: 
It's the morning and I feel like completing this post. Recently I looked up the sanskrit names of the asanas to make it easier to remember them.

Mukta hasta sirsasana:
Mukta means free, hasta means hand, sirsasana means head. Now it makes sense: the first 3 headstands are with free hands.
Baddha hasta sirsasana:
Baddha means bound: And the next 4 headstands are indeed with bound hands.

Janu sirsasana:
Janu means knee.......Janu sirsasana means knee-head position.

Ardha baddha padmottanasana:
ardha means half,
baddha means bound
padma means lotus
ut means intense
tan means stretch
asana means pose

Half-bound lotus pose means this pose.

Knowing a few words in sanskrit help to learn the names of the asanas.


2 comments:

Debb said...

Dearest U, I love and appreciate these "tips" on sanskrit words.. it will help me immensely in trying to memorize the names of asanas..
Om Shanti,
Debb

Ursula said...

Dear Debb, it helps me, too.

Everything becomes clearer with only a few translated words.

To learn the Sanskrit names is for me an exercise for the mind....:)

Om Shanti, Ursula