Saturday, August 27, 2011

Will 10,000 times be enough?


Since 1 year I try the above pose. M gave me this additional exercise. It shall help me to learn bakasana B, flying into bakasana so to say.
This exercise is important for many other asanas, too.

1.I can fly into bakasana B, landing on the upper arms with the knees from this position.
2. There is the possibility to go up into handstand.
3. Exercising the pose improved my jumping foward, swinging the legs through the arms without touching the floor. Before practicing primary this week I studied again the bible by David Swenson "Ashtanga yoga". The starting position is important, like a wild animal before hunting another animal for dinner I go on the balls of my feet, the belly is close to  the bended upper legs. The back is rather a hollow back. All bandhas are engaged. One looks forward. And then one jumps high and not forward. The hips lead, the "ceiling" moves upwards. This is the trick. I filmed myself and I'm still too cautious when in the middle of the room.
4. From the above pose tic tocs can be done, one can land in urdhva dhanurasana.

Herewith the importance of the exercise is proved.

When it's true that one has to invest 10,000 hours in anything in order to become an expert, I should be able to hold the pose in the middle of the room after having exercised it 10,000 times. I counted. About 35 times every day I have to exercise it, then I should be able to do it in a year (about). I will document it, lol. Let's see.

I think this pose improved already. I was very scary in the beginning. But my arms are strong and I can hold myself.
- Important is to do it in the middle of the room. I exercise it against my wardrobe.
- It can also be important to jump from different distances to the hands. Ah, the variations are endless.

What to do when I fall? 
I could press the chin to the chest and I can make a round back in order to roll out of the pose.
I can land in urdhva dhanurasana, which is not so safe.
(The problem here is that my yoga room is tiny and I'll fall probably against my chest or against the window or the sofa. This must be avoided.)

-------------------------------
Again I had a nightmare at night. In general I'm more a day dreamer than a night dreamer. Tonight I dreamed. The situations, the feelings were so real. Then I woke up and was entertained about the fact that I was horizontal, sleeping in my bed and living a second life in my dream.
Life is dreamed, imagined with open eyes, too. What we think is the map of the world, not the world itself.  The mind creates an individual reality. Consciousness is all there is, I read in the Advaita books. Realizing this again and again can make a life easier. What we think is not the reality.
NLP, neuro-linguistic programming by Richard Bandler advises to adopt the thinking to the wished outcome in life. He studied the function of the brain, it's patterns and how to use it . I recommend all his books. It's more a practical consequence of the above statement that the world is imagined.
Advaita people have the same insights. They have other questions: What is the truth then, they ask? What is eternal? Before we start thinking, we know that we exist: "I am"........That's the only truth. For the rest one can say "consciousness is all there is". Happy dreaming. Advices for daily living are not given galore.
Coaches give advice and are convinced that a person is responsible for his/her fate.
Advaita says: life happens, we're not the doer.

Usually people get aggressive when they hear that they are not responsible for their lives. We're all so brainwashed: Take your fate in your own hands, we even say. Often I hear a combination: For the "bad things" that happen to us we blame others, for the "good things" we're responsible on our own.
Might be that we can learn to manipulate or change our thinking, we can learn to concentrate and to think positively. But also this happens. Not everybody will do so, despite the same information.
(....to be continued.)
Ashtanga yoga and Advaita might be an interesting topic, too. I was asked to write about it by a Romanian gipsy, so texts will come.

A too long post and I've such a good mango for breakfast here, thanks to the Pakistani round the corner who imports them.

6 comments:

lilasvb said...

i often read your blog,will 10 000 times be enough, i also ask this to myself with my own practise, i should aad this exercice too. good idear
i guess i will need more...

Ursula said...

Thank you for reading.

After 10,000 times one can plan again....the next 10,000 times.

Happy practice.

denise said...

Love this post and the advaita that I never read before.
keep writing Ursula, I always learn so much from you.
Thank you for your dedication. My practice is getting better every day, I'm so happy! I will follow the10 000 hours too!

Ursula said...

Thank you Denise,
So wonderful to hear that your practice gets better. There might be always ups and downs, but in the long run our practices improve when we keep practicing.

Advaita that's it.

Namaste.Ursula

Bettina said...

Hi Ursula,
you asked what to do when falling while balancing on your hands. Here is an advice my teacher gave: The safest way to land when losing balance in handstand etc. is to rotate the body to the side and to land with the feet next to the hands, a little bit as if you would do a cartwheel. I hope you can image how it is meant. He also made us practice this by first helping into handstand and then giving a push. Just try it, it's really safe and can take away some of the fear.
Greetings from Bangalore,
Bettina

Rajesh said...

Congratulations!!