Thursday, July 07, 2011

Dhanurasana and parsva dhanurasana


Dhanurasana and parsva dhanurasana (see picture) belong together. Usually I practice full vinyasa, that means I start in samasthitih and I finish these poses in samasthitih. Oh, I just realized that the two poses are practiced separately, each asana starts with samasthitih. The book by Lino Miele is open next to my PC.

I can do these poses without a strap, but then the knees move away from each other. They are supposed to be together and this makes these poses a challenge. The strap helps me and guarantees a deep back bending. I point the feet, it helps.

When in parsva dhanurasana the body shall lie on the chest, not shoulder, and the knees are supposed to be together. This combination is difficult. Mainly I lie on my shoulder.

In classes I don't use a strap. My practices at home are more focused on learning and exploring.I repeat poses, use props. In classes my focus is flow as well. I use props only when absolutely necessary or recommended.

Important is the breath. Pressure is on the chest when the body is in such back bending positions. This makes the inhaling more difficult. And exactly then it is important not to change the even rhythm of inhaling and exhaling.

One of my favorite adjustments is when I'm in dhanurasana, my feet are flexed, someone sits on them till my upper legs are on the floor. When in addition my shoulders are pushed backwards I'm in a very deep back bending and it feels so good. Yesterday I got this adjustment. Oh, how wonderful.

The asanas in general are so beautiful. So easily it's forgotten, that the breath, the drishti, the mind and the attitude are equally important. If no awareness is given to the breath i.e. it's very likely that it becomes sloppy, that the exhaling becomes longer than the inhaling i.e. Take care of the breath.

Also the vinyasas are important. These points belong to the Ashtanga system. In other yoga systems the vinyasa count does not exist.

Re the vinyasas it's mainly jumping into the position and with the next breath one has to be in the asana. Often I take an extra breath. It's a bit like: OMG and now THIS exhausting position. I don't wonna make such a fuss about the poses. Hahaha......
Here is how the vinyasa count  goes re dhanurasana. I quote from the book by Lino Miele "Ashtanga yoga":
Inhaling - hands up
exhaling - uttanasana
inhaling - head up
exhaling - jump back - grasp ankles
inhaling - DHANURASANA
and so on.........

This pose has 9 vinyasas only, and dristi is the nose. It's not looking upwards, which is a wide-spread mistake. Looking to the nose helps to keep the face relaxed.

Four more back bending poses are coming in the second series.

On Thursday I practice primary.

No comments: