Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What makes my practice more joyful...


So many factors influence my yoga practice. There are days where I'm full of energy and where I'm very optimistic. Sleep and food influences a practice. It's a difference if I practice in the morning or in the evening. The weight is also a crucial factor. If I practice alone or in a group makes a difference and and and.....

In former times I compared my practices with past accomplishments or with the "perfect" form. An example: I used to think: Yesterday I could bind in marychiasana C, why not today. But the practice and what is possible is every day different. There are so many factors that influence what happens on the mat. All the factors are like the players of an orchestra. Sometimes the single player play together and a melody is created. Then flow happens, the yoga practice becomes a dance. Sometimes only noise happens.

Nowadays I explore my limits. I try to find out what is possible today. I'm attentive to my body and my mind. I go deeper in an asana breath after breath. I see the progression in each practice. Usually in the beginning of a practice I'm more stiff than at the end. The body is warmed up later.

The experienced highlights are enjoyed. Last time I could reach my toes with my fingers when I did kapotasana. M helped me, of course. This gives me hope that one day this pose is possible for me, perhaps sooner than I think. Today I applied the known technique: deep breathing, engaging the muscles, pressing the shin bones on the floor. I gave all my energy to this pose. Fingers didn't reach the toes today. So is it. That I practiced this pose counts.

Ah, the Jasmin tea is good..........

Thank you for buying your amazon products via my blog......:)
Links are on the right side of this blog.



5 comments:

Paz said...

Body talks about the way it is treated. Martha Graham used to call it 'the sacred garment".
Yoga is breathing the immediate and distant past out of the muscles.
Memory is hold in all the cells, especially in the fascia.
Yoga does the cleaning of the house. It's like the souji ritual cleaning in japanese houses and outokoburo in the public baths.
Taking the trash out. Starting over. Coming home.
People seldom realize that gentle exercise is just as vital to our wellness as mouthwash, dental floss, shower and changing the sheets.

Love,
Paz

Ursula said...

Very nicely said...

Becoming flexible can mean to get rid of old patterns. It has surely something liberating.....

Paz said...

Life is the "I am possible" project.

:)

Paz said...

By the way, typing error.
Memory is HELD, not hold.

Love,

Paz

Ursula said...

Typing errors are OK....hahahaha.

This is a good title: I am possible.