Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pratyahara


From 10pm through 12pm I'm busy. I watch TV: I'm a celebrity, get me out of here. :)

Every evening one of the celebrities has to do a test. Yesterday Rainer Langhans was voted to do it. When the test is done successfully the group gets something to eat.
Last night Rainer had to lie down in a coffin with 30.000 cockroaches. These cockroaches are lively animals and they crawl and crawl and crawl. Rainer was in that coffin high in the air, motionless for 10 min. It is known that Rainer meditates. He is surely familiar with the methods of pratyahara, withdrawal of the senses. That was it what he has done in my opinion: pratyahara in perfection. He did a fantastic job. The group got food.

Animals: There are no disgusting animals. When we human beings think that some animals are cute others disgusting, it's something we've learned. Whatever we've learned we can also unlearn. These exercises that play with disgust lose the horror when this is seen. Cockroaches are amazing animals.

Methods to practice pratyahara:
- focusing on the breath (pranayama exercises are pratyahara techniques)
- focusing on only one sense (like hearing) for a certain time.
- focusing on only one point at the body.
Last mentioned technique is  a method I use when I'm at the dentist. I can stand pain very well because I shift my attention to my right big toe. Everything else, I blind out.
Picture is taken in Munich.

1 comment:

bency said...

Pranayama is one of the most common practices for Pratyahara. While doing Paranayama, the person withdraws from the external on its own, and brings his focus inwards towards his breath.

liposculpture guide