Monday, November 08, 2010

Healed


Healed. Yoginis know this sensitive place. Exactly where the legs meet the sit bones is a connection that is easily overstretched.

I overstretched it twice during my Ashtanga yoga journey of about 8 years.
It's so awful because:
1. It is painful.
2. It takes months to heal, in my case 5 months. But it heals.

These injuries happen. Point.

What helped me when it was too late already:
1. I practiced but with  a lot of care. Pain was my guide. When I felt pain I stopped, breathed deeply and stretched again a bit when the pain disappeared. I engaged my leg muscles and the bandhas. Very slowly I did the asanas.
2. A day off from time to time was good.
3. I started taking hot baths. This relaxed my entire body.
4. Staying positive helps also, not to become impatient.

What to do before anything happens:
1. A daily practice helps not to injure oneself.
2. I'm especially attentive after  a break of 2 days or when I attend workshops. I don't want to impress anybody.
3. Engaging the relevant muscles, mainly leg muscles during the first series and engaging the bandhas protects the body.
4. I approach new asanas with respect.

I sit here on a chair, I sit in half lotus pose. My body is soft and flexible, relaxed. My body is a joy and not a burden. I love to move. What a gift. My injury on the backside of my right leg is gone. Sigh. it's so good.

An exercise off the mat: Dress or undress consciously. How do you put your socks on? Do you balance? How do you put your t-shirt on and your coat? How is the breath? Have fun.

2 comments:

Quentin said...

Yes, I am recovering from Tendinitis of the bottom part of right sit bone, experiencing same sensations.
Daily practice does help, and before leading a class, I arrive early and do my daily practice.

Ursula said...

Oh thank you for giving me the correct word for it: tendinitis.

Interesting to hear that your experience was as well that going on with the practice is good.

Otherwise the muscles tightens and after a break the danger to injure is even larger.

Painfree practices is what we want.
Namaste and good night.