Friday, November 19, 2010
First help - how to start practicing at home
This post is for Francisca (and for all those who like to practice at home and don't know how to start):
On my way home from grocery shopping I had a few ideas how you can start easily with a home practice:
1. Go to bed at a decent time, so that you have 7 or 8 hours sleep.
2. Get up in the morning so that you have enough time for a practice. 30 min can be enough in the beginning, but make sure that you get up every morning at the same time.
3. I read on twitter that a yogini is sleeping in her yoga clothes to make it easier to get on the mat the next morning, perhaps this is something for you. You can also roll your mat on the floor so that everything is ready for your practice the next morining.
4. Get up, drink something and get into the habit to empty your bowel before you step on the mat.
5. Plan to do 5 sun salutations A and 3 sun salutations B and a closing sequence. Relax 5 min minimum afterwards. When you get into the mood to do more, go ahead, but start modest. Remember: It's important to focus on the breath. More important than a long exhausting practice is to start a daily habit that seems doable.
6. If you can "only" sit on your mat, then sit and observe your breath. This counts as a practice, too. But be on your mat for the planned time. Don't discuss with yourself in the morning if you practice or not.
7. Buy yourself a journal or start blogging. Your writing needn't to be public. Plan time to write in your journal/blog afterwards. To write about my yoga practice supports me immensely. Write what you have done. Write what for a great yogini you are. Write how you felt and what you loved. Plan your next practice.
8. Do your yoga practice (including writing) for a week and then let me know how it was. Please. Wink. Ha, I like my little trick. I'm also proud of you when you only sat on your mat enjoying your breath.
Happy home practice.
Btw, I'm on facebook, too and on twitter. A link can be found on the right side of this blog.