Friday, November 19, 2010

First help - how to start practicing at home


This post is for Francisca (and for all those who like to practice at home and don't know how to start):

Dear Francisca,
On my way home from grocery shopping I had a few ideas how you can start easily with a home practice:

1. Go to bed at a decent time, so that you have 7 or 8 hours sleep.
2. Get up in the morning so that you have enough time for a practice. 30 min can be enough in the beginning, but make sure that you get up every morning at the same time.

3. I read on twitter that a yogini is sleeping in her yoga clothes to make it easier to get on the mat the next morning, perhaps this is something for you. You can also roll your mat on the floor so that everything is ready for your practice the next morining.
4. Get up, drink something and get into the habit to empty your bowel before you step on the mat.

5. Plan to do 5 sun salutations A and 3 sun salutations B and a closing sequence. Relax 5 min minimum afterwards. When you get into the mood to do more, go ahead, but start modest. Remember: It's important to focus on the breath. More important than a long exhausting practice is to start a daily habit that seems doable.
6. If you can "only" sit on your mat, then sit and observe your breath. This counts as a practice, too. But be on your mat for the planned time. Don't discuss with yourself in the morning if you practice or not.
7. Buy yourself a journal or start blogging. Your writing needn't to be public. Plan time to write in your journal/blog afterwards. To write about my yoga practice supports me immensely. Write what you have done. Write what for a great yogini you are. Write how you felt and what you loved. Plan your next practice.

8. Do your yoga practice (including writing) for a week and then let me know how it was. Please. Wink. Ha, I like my little trick. I'm also proud of you when you only sat on your mat enjoying your breath.

Happy home practice.

Btw, I'm on facebook, too and on twitter. A link can be found on the right side of this blog.

6 comments:

Flo said...

Perfect tips! I agree.

Ursula said...

Yeah following these tips can indeed be a beginning for a soon flourishing self-practice. :)

Alicia said...

Ursula - Thanks for posting! I am currently practicing the primary series and have a daily Mysore class with a teacher. In a few weeks though, I'm moving. And I will no longer have an option of daily mysore. My plan is to practice at home and try to drive to a led class at least 1 time per week. Any tips to know when you're ready for new poses?

Meaghan Mae said...

I like the idea of sleeping in my yogi clothes, and practically drifting to the mat. Half the time I sleep in them anyway b/c they're so comfy. :)
Thank you for the tips Ursula!

Francisca said...

Obrigada Ursula!

I really appreciated your tips. I hope I can share my new blog with you in perhaps 1 month, which is the period I think I need to make it a routine.

Ursula said...

If you like to be a guest blogger you are welcomed.
I also like to introduce your new blog.

Have fun with your practice.
Ursula