Thursday, October 07, 2010

Baddha konasana A, B and C


Dark, dark, dark as always. Watching me practicing baddha konasana A, B and C was a wish of a subscriber of my modest videos. So, hahahaha, here it is.

I comment (the perfectionist in me is already awake):
- What can be seen is full vinyasa (for the readers, who ask here and then what it is. I start an asana in samasthithi and I return to this pose.
- upward dog:  The distance between upper leg and floor could be larger. This happens when the legs are engaged, when the entire body is strong.
- downdog: when the back and the shoulders becomes more flexible there is the tendency that the back is no more straight (as it is supposed to be), but it is arched. This can be seen in this video, too.
- jumping forward: My feet still touch the floor. Important is that the toes point forward and not sidewards. I have still potential to jump higher and balance when up. I won't fall, I can clearly see this. Then I will have more time to bring the crossed legs closer to the body. Next time I will check if I breathe correctly and if I engage the bandhas (mula bandha and uddyjana bandha).
- jumping backward: It was neglected by me (too difficult). Lately I saw a video by Kino MacGregor. This motivated me to give more attention to the jump back. With an inhaling I lift the body up. Strength is needed to do this, I know, I need even more strength. With the next exhaling I swing my legs through my arms. What is new is that the ball of my one leg is touching the floor and no more the side of the foot. This forces me to bring my crossed legs closer to the body and this creates more room to the floor. This space is needed in order to stretch the legs back. This jumping through will surely be a focus today, too.
baddha konasana A, B and C is not such a problem for me. The chin touches the floor in baddha konasana A even though this cannot be seen due to the darkness. I still see a lot of additional movements that are not really necessary to perform the asanas, like adjusting my hair. Yeah. Whatever, Asthanga yoga is energy work and I think we learn to focus this energy and not to waste it. This is why I mention it here.
- The arms are close to the body when in the poses and not somewhere on the legs. I discovered this lately when I saw pictures of advanced yoginis.
- The movement is supposed to be even (not fast or slow and the beginning or the end of a movement).

I'm not unhappy with the performance of these poses, not at all. A pose can always be improved. And yes, I also work on the details.  

To jump forward and backward shall be my focus today. I so want to be able to do it.
Time to practice.

Important addition: I just watched some videos. Then I checked the book by Matthew Sweeney "Ashtanga yoga as it is". One does not come up after baddha konasana A like in my video. With an exhaling one goes direct into baddha konasana B. In the book by Sweeney is said that baddha konasana B is optional.

Feel free to join me on facebook. A link can be found on the right side of this blog. There you can also post your own helpful videos.


6 comments:

Grimmly said...

Love the little shake of the golden locks in between each one, just checked my Lino, can't find that bit...oh wait here it is, inhale , toss hair to right, exhale and lower.... : )

Nice jump through, don't think I've seen you do it before on video. Jump back is there too no? I went through a phase of touching down my toes for a couple of months, I'd been jumping back clean fora year then for some reason started touching the toe down. After a couple of months it came back. Wasn't a question of strength but just seemed to get my timing mixed up.

Ursula said...

Hahahah, thank you.

You also give me hope. I think in my case it's easier to work on my timing than on my strength.

It's the first time that I filmed my jumping back. Patience is needed, but I feel (and see) improvement. A mat of good quality helps.

Nicola said...

I think your jump through was pretty nice!! Just a quick piece of advice on the darkness in the video. If you practice facing the window and place the camera to the side of the window you should get much better lighting. The camera is just getting confused by the big area of light coming through the window.

Ursula said...

Thank you Nicola, also for the filming tip.
The issue is that I'll be too close to the camera then. The camera is in my kitchen now and despite the distance my head is cut. Perhaps I should try to film at night. Usually I do not practice at night, but yes, I think I should give it a try. Shall there be light. Hahahaha.

Namaste
Ursula

Quentin said...

I noticed that the curtain was open. Maybe closing the heavier curtain too will help while turning on inside lights.

When I jump back, instead of landing in plank, I land in chattarunga (stick) hoovering just over floor on palms and toes. I think this is less strain on the shoulder muscles.

Ursula said...

The curtain is closed, but it is a a very light cotton, transparent even. I had switched on the light. The room is not the best for filming adventures.

I prefer to land in plank pose. I have seen both versions. When I land in plank pose, I have to go down slowly and this is what builds arm muscles. These arm muscles I need for second series. My shoulders feel good. Yeah there are variations. Every body is different.
I like your committment, Quentin, :) Happy practices.