Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thinking and balancing poses


Thinking and balancing poses: Sometimes when I practice utthita parsvasahita in a led class I really stand stable, I am like a statue of porcelaine. Then a thought comes up: Oh, today it is good. .........Then it WAS good, because a thougth, even a positive one usually makes me wobbling.
Best is to observe the breath and to engage the muscles including the bandhas. To observe the breath means not thinking I observe the breath. Simply listening to it, is it. The eyes are calm, they do not move or look around. An imagined point to look at helps to keep them calm. When applying these techniques  there is a chance that a pose can become stable.

Balancing poses and fear:
Sometimes fear is felt when doing balancing poses. Let's have a closer look at it, what can happen:
1. It is possible to wobble. Sometimes this drives me crazy. In the next second I must laugh about myself.
2. You can fall. I once fell out of sirsasana. Roll. Roll. Then it's likely that you are a bit shocked, but no injuries happen. I once had a bruise from falling out of a pose. I survived it. Be courageous. Again and again.

Fear is a thought that needn't accord with reality.
Applying the correct techniques helps to perform balancing asanas.

My current challenging balancing pose: pincha mayurasana. Next step will be to try it in the middle of the room and not against the wall (without blocks).

On my facebook page, I found two wonderful comments on balancing. I want to share it here:
Bettina wrote: my favourite balance pose ? life itself...
Quentin Hardage wrote: The samasthithi asana cultivates a balanced stance towards the world. From samasthithi, all other standing postures or asana are practiced. The Beginning and the Last. Alpha Omega.

Feel free to join the side on facebook, too. You can find a link on the right side of this blog.

Picture: It's a pose that is not part of the Asthanga series. At least I have not found it yet. In the book "Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha" by Swami Satyananda Saraswati I found the name of this asana: pada angushthasana. In the Ashtanga system this pose looks different. However. It's a nice balancing pose, especially in the beginning. If one falls one does not fall from high.

A yoga book (not Ashtanga):

Thank you for buying your amazon products via this blog.

No comments: