Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How to begin.....



Also for me it is often not easy to step on my mat and to start this sweaty Ashtanga yoga practice alone. During the time I found out what helps me to practice despite the inner reluctance or laziness that is felt from time to time. I've found out what are my little helpers:

1. It's the CD by Sharath that helps me so often to begin. After the standing sequence I usually switch it off and continue on my own.
2. Music helps. It needn't to be rock music. Soft rhythmic music, not too loud, can give a nice atmosphere. It should be possible to hear the breath despite the sound of the music.
3. Simply to sit on the mat and to wait is also a method that made me practice already in the past. I usually find it more interesting to move the body than simply to sit.

4. How do you manage it to start your yoga practice?

Today I'll switch on the CD by Sharath, a real gift for us Ashtanga yogis/yoginis.

Picture: Glyptothek from behind.

Matthew Sweeney Ashtanga yoga as it is:

Thank you for buying amazon products via my blog.

7 comments:

Michelle Myhre said...

Muisc does it for me too. Inspiring and ever changing playlists of high energy to burn the tamas, or mellow mixes for those satvic days.

Favorites are: Sadhana, Kerala Dream, Desert Grooves 4, Tandava, Yoga Masters: White Swan Vol. 4.

xo

Michelle Myhre said...

Music does it for me too. Inspiring and ever changing playlists of high energy to burn the tamas, or mellow mixes for those satvic days.

Favorites are: Sadhana, Kerala Dream, Desert Grooves 4, Tandava, Yoga Masters: White Swan Vol. 4.

xo

Michelle Myhre said...

Music does it for me too. Inspiring and ever changing playlists of high energy to burn the tamas, or mellow mixes for those satvic days.

Favorites are: Sadhana, Kerala Dream, Desert Grooves 4, Tandava, Yoga Masters: White Swan Vol. 4.

xo

bindifry said...

i try not to analyze it. when 9am strikes, no matter what, the mat goes down whether i want to do it or not. during my practice is when i know whether to push or to pull back. even a little goes a long way, so it's ALWAYS worth it.
i love silence & never practice with music. i like my dog & cats hanging about keeping me company, though. i would much rather practice alone than in a group. then i KNOW i am keeping it real.

Ursula said...

Thank you both.
I see every yogini/yogi has her/his individual approach.

I have also music here that I bought especially for yoga, perhaps I find it again soon. The CD got somehow lost, but it is a good one for yoga

Debb said...

How to begin.. I try to pick a consistent time 7:00 a.m. AND if I find excuses to do other things I remind myself how wonderful I will feel when the practice is complete. At 56 years old my body actually craves the deep stretching and bending of Ashtanga. Not so much the sun salutations, but they are a necessary part to appreciate the remainder.
I also read your blog "first thing", Ursula. You provide great inspiration through your consistency.
Namaste,
Debb

Ursula said...

Thank you Debb,
It is also so true, habits make everything so much easier.

Happy practices. U