Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Full vinyasa


I read another chapter in the book about guruji. This time it was Brad Ramsey who told me his story. I can only touch some points.

Now it is official.  To practice full vinyasas was the original teaching. Full vinyasa means to start the asanas of the middle parts of the Asthanga series from samastithi, again and again. Samastithi is the starting point. This practice was given up because too many people came to Mysore, India. One had to find a solution to manage these masses of practitioners. The practice had to become shorter to allow more people to practice every day in the morning. To practice half vinyasas was a solution and this surely makes the practice shorter.

This is for me not a reason not to practice full vinyasa when I am alone and when I have plenty of time.
1. Doing full vinyasa feels better!!!!
2. It builds the necessary strength.

This is also why baddha konasana C is omitted (in the CD by Sharath i.e.) and why urdhva dhanursana was added (to make it more demanding to get to second series). One had to manage all these people and one wanted to allow as much people as possible to practice during a limited time. Hundreds of people every day must be organised! Rules are needed, I understand this.

I remember that I was confused in the beginning, when I studied the book "Yoga mala" by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois. I already knew that it was considered important to follow exactly the rules of the system, but the yoga mala described the asanas/vinyasa differently than what I was doing. I practiced half vinyasas in classes, means coming to a sitting position again and again.
It feels so good to stretch the body upwards between all these forward bending asanas of the first series.
Try it. Try full vinyasas. Add it bit by bit.

Brad Ramsey also talked about the importance of food, page 57:
" You grow into your diet like you grow into your practice."
It is so true, this practice has the potential to guide the practitioners also in other parts of life.

Other keywords were devotion, but read yourself:

Thank you for buying your amazon products via my blog.












PS: This week I write about balancing.
Feel free to join me on facebook and publish one of your favourite balancing asana. Thank you.
You find the link on the right side of this blog.

3 comments:

denise said...

dear ursula,I follow you blog every day and I really like it. I have a question: do you practice on full moon day?
I have read that is better not to practice on full moon and also in new moon.

Ursula said...

Dear denise,
I practice on full moon and also on half moon.
It is said that it is more likely to get injured on those days. This is not my experience. I try to be attentive as usual. I am also not so traditional. In India the shala was closed on full moon and half moon days. Here the shalas are open. It's business as usual.
My advice: practice with care, with love for yourself and you will survive full and half moons.

Namaste
Ursula

b0ar said...

So when practicing the full vinyasa, do you return to samasthiti between each standing pose. For example, between padahastasana and padangusthasana... Or between each side of utthita trikonasana? I know that there is a full vinyasa to standing for seated poses, but didn't know about standing postures.

Thanks for your knowledge, I should probably go get a copy of the yoga mala, but I was googling and found your blog.

Cheers