Thursday, July 29, 2010

How often shall a yogi/yogini take a shower?


This seems to be a sophisticated topic.
But even Mr B.K.S. touched the topic in his famous book "Light on yoga".
I have already written a review about this book:

Re showering and bathing Mr B.K.S. Iyengar writes in "Light on yoga", page 53, point 4 (freely translated by me):

Bathing: Asanas are easier to practice, if one has taken a bath before practicing. After the exercises the body is sweaty and one should take another bath after 15 min. A bath or a shower before and after the exercises refreshes body and mind.

* Of course I take a shower in the morning when I go to a Mysore class. This is also a matter of courtesy.
* When I practiced alone at home ,I thougth a shower afterwards would be enough. I change this, because it feels good to step freshly showered on the mat.
* If a shower is part of the ritual, it is also easier to start practicing.
* It's not about washing and cleaning the body. It is simply to rinse the sweat of the night and to feel refreshed.
* I know some yogis/yoginis who take a bath (with salts even) before practicing. It makes the body soft surely, even softer than a shower only. It is too time-consuming for me.
* I always shower with cold water at the end. This wakes me up refreshes me. It's a habit that I started decades ago.
* Too much soap is not good for the body, it dries out the skin. Take care. To clean the body once a day should be enough. In the evening I have my cleaning session in the bathroom, I wash my hair then, my feet get a special treatment. After having shrubbed them, I put oil on them.

In sum I am under the shower 3 times a day: before the yoga practice, after the yoga practice and in the evening for a longer cleaning session. This shall be enough. Really!!!!

So and now I take a quick shower to prepare my body for a yoga practice and to feel fresh.

Comments are very welcomed.

B.K.S. Iyangar and his standard work "Light on yoga":

6 comments:

jh00mer said...

3 times a day for me. Quick lukewarm shower before practice. Longer, hot shower after. Another one at night before bed. To save water, I try to get everything done in the shortest time possible.

Ursula said...

Thank you for your comment.
This was also an aspect for me. To use so much water is really luxury. I am conscious that not everybody has a shower and that showering so often is not possible for everybody.

I described how it can be when conditons are ideal....

algarahuss said...

I shower before practice, a longer shower where I wash my hair and shave legs etc. I do this to symbolically "start" my day. Plus if I have clean hair I can plait it better after I'm done. After practice most days I will rinse quickly and I usually take a bath in the evenings to relax before bed. So I am also at 3 cleanings a day. Although I do not shower everyday after practice or bathe before bed I ALWAYS shower before practice. This way my sweat runs clean when I practice and my body feels ready for exercise.

Shanti
Liza

algarahuss said...

I shower before practice, a longer shower where I wash my hair and shave legs etc. I do this to symbolically "start" my day. Plus if I have clean hair I can plait it better after I'm done. After practice most days I will rinse quickly and I usually take a bath in the evenings to relax before bed. So I am also at 3 cleanings a day. Although I do not shower everyday after practice or bathe before bed I ALWAYS shower before practice. This way my sweat runs clean when I practice and my body feels ready for exercise.

Shanti
Liza

Ursula said...

Thank you Liza.
Interesting.
I see that if you do yoga or if you do any sports probably more than 1 shower a day is necessary, often it's 3 times that we shower.

Shanti
Ursula

Ram said...

Showering twice-before and after practice is obviously a great practice if anyone can follow. As far as the yogis taking bath with salt is concerned, I have learned that they do that to clean the bioplasmic body or etheric body which interpenetrates the visible physical body which is also known as an aura. According to some ancient scripts it is clairvoyantly observed that water is capable of absorbing dirty bioplasmic matter and that salt breaks down the dirty bioplasmic matter. It is further said that any infection, bacteria or disease first breaks into the bioplasmic body or aura before affecting our physical body. That is the reason why pranic healers use water and salt in a bowl while treating a patient.