Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Difficult asanas


Yeah, there are difficult asanas and easy asanas. At least we think so. What is quick to learn is easy, what takes time to learn is considered as difficult. That's how we often view these body wrenches.

Time to write about the advantages of the difficult asanas, those that need not 1 year, not 2 years, but perhaps 3 or 4 years till they are accomplished as they are supposed to be. Improvement of course never ends.

1. Ahhhhhh, what a feeling when I've exercised an asana for more than 5 years till I am able to do it. Urdhva dhanurasana is such a pose, also kapotasana.
2. Not only the asana is learned, but also patience.
3. When it takes time to learn an asana, I often learn how to learn to do it. I get to know additional exercises.
4. I am more prone to study the asana and so I learn about anatomy.
5. Other aspects come into mind, like the importance of the breath.

Oh, how good that not all asanas are easy for me......:)

To be finally able to do a difficult asana is like being on the Mount Everest.
Being able to do easy asanas is like having bought the newspaper round the corner.
What do you prefer? (Ha, ha, ha,........)

Picture: M showed me an exercise to learn kapotasana. It is for opening the chest. I am on my knees and arch back till the hand touch the wall (in my case it is a wardrobe). Then I stretch the arms. It is not so important to have the hand placed close to the floor, important is to stretch the arms.

BTW: my vegan blog is updated.

The art of yoga:

4 comments:

bindifry said...

for me, no asana is easy if it is being done deep enough & correctly, held long enough with proper engagement of bandhas & use of breath.
posture opens quicker & more gently if breath is always #1.
that's just me & that's how i teach. it seems to be working.
also, i never really "achieve" anything because every day is SO different.

Ursula said...

Thank you very much for you comment.
Of course, perfection does not exist, it goes on and on.....
Nevertheless there are steps/levels that can be accomplished, that can give the feeling: ah now I am able to do a certain pose like it is supposed to be.
I also agree that I can feel the limits in every asana.
I am glad that my post was a bit provocative.....:)
Happy practices.
Namaste
Ursula

Alice said...

I'm looking forward to being able to do something I couldn't do before! Although, I already get a sense of achievement just by getting my alignment better than before. But to do something like crab pose for instance, would mean I had come a long way. I know crab pose probably isn't that difficult, but it is for me as I just don't have the flexibility or strength in my arms. Now, to do Urdhva Dhanurasana would be a miracle!! I wish! But one day, one day...

I will concentrate on my breathing as suggested, and I have booked some classes for the first time, to get my technique right.

If I hadn't been reading your blog I probably wouldn't be feeling so motivated. Thanks again.

Ursula said...

Hi Alice,
You are welcome.
I think it is a very good idea to go to classes also. Here you learn the basics and you become more confident.

Enjoy the journey. As soon as you are able to do a pose, the next pose is comes......:)
Happy practices...
Urusla