Wednesday, July 14, 2010

B.K.S. Iyengar, the master and me




Light on yoga by B.K.S Iyengar was my first yoga book (fifth edition in German language, 1986) and I still use it. In the back of the book are 200 pictures of asanas performed by B.K.S. Iyengar. The sanskrit names are used and written to each picture.

Very interesting is the chapter about illnesses and healing asanas.
I juts looked up what is recommended if someone has low blood pressure: I read that Salamba -sarvangasana, sirsasana, halasana, karnapindasana, paschimottanasana and other asanas are good to perform. Next to each asana is a number so that the appropriate picture can be found easily.

The asanas are described very precisely and it is written what is the effect of each asana.

There is also a chapter about asana classes. I don't need this as I practice the Ashtanga series.

--------------------------------------------------------

Pictures are so helpful: I did the above pose without engaging the bandhas. I had to repeat it. B.K.S Iyengar's thumb has another position. To compare pictures can help to improve the own practice. Always my thumb....it has a life of its own.

Light on yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar:

6 comments:

bindifry said...

my first book too. the best reference material for yoga that i know of. your navasana is smashing :-)

Ursula said...

Smashing = super....
Thank you....smiling

This book is really good.
I mean 200 asanas with perfect pictures. :)

tanya said...

The class mentioned at the end has its signficance as it gradually goes to higher version of poses and it has the benefit of the sequence mentioned there in.when you follow this sequence you are prepared to do the end pose as your body gets attuned for that posture.
I think you should also describe about the sequence used in your practice and the classes taken by you.Then you can share your realization about yoga in your blog which shall enchance the quality of the blog

Ursula said...

Thank you Tanya for the inspiration. I think about it and how I can implement it in my blog.

I know there is still the article from you I wanted to write to you. Sorry, but I am very busy write not. It's not forgotten....:)

Greetings
Ursula

Debb said...

Firstly, YOU are MY B.K.S. Iyengar!I find your blog very valuable (as you know..wink)

Question, can you recommend a book that would give the English names for asanas along side the Sanskrit name, with photo of the pose also? Also, with a pronunciation key too would be great. Sort of a yoga dictionary I guess.
In appreciation,
Debb

Ursula said...

Smiling, thank you Debra, and I love that you have fun with it, too.

I know a page it is in Enlish and German. It is made by a German guy. Perhaps you like to check it. But I have also seen only the sanskrit names on that page.

It is www.ashtangayoga.info

When I stumble about such a source I will let you know. For now nothing else but this side comes up.

Happy practices.
Ursula....:)