Monday, June 07, 2010

Ashtanga yoga


You want to pretend to be an advanced Ashtanga practitioner, even though you are a bloody beginner?

1. Of course focus on your even breath.
2. The hand position is important. When the hands are on the mat like in down dog, then spread the finger, the entire hand is on the floor. Otherwise. The fingers are next to each other, also the thumb. Also when the hands bind like in marichyasana poses the fingers are straight, arm and hand are in line.
3. Hip width apart means hip width. Most aspirants have the feet too far apart.
4. To know the Sanskrit names is also good, when you want to be an Ashtangi show off.
But who wants this?????
Me?
No, I am an advanced beginner............I practice modesty.

My first Ashtanga book was the Swenson-book. Buy it, he is a classic, a must have for advanced Ashtangis.

4 comments:

rhh said...

Now that you've told me all your secrets, I'm going to really "fake it" tonight in my yoga class!!!

Thanks!!!

Ralph

Ursula said...

Hahahaha, have fun in your yoga class......:)

Namaste
Ursula

Mel said...

You got something great going in your blog, Ursula! Now am trying to see if I got some yoga pose secrets to tell. Goodluck on your yoga journey!

Ursula said...

Thank you Mel,
Enjoy reading,
Namaste
Ursula