Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Don't use your left hand as a support




I was hungry as a wolf (fb friends told me kundalini energy is awakening). However, I wanted food. I put on my winter coat and went out heading for the grocery shop round the corner that has everything. Then my eyes read: African restaurant. I haven't seen it so far. Quickly a nice chain of thoughts came up: sun, heat, spices, desert,  more sun, heat......and a minute later I sat at one of the tables in that African restaurant. From where are you I asked the waiter: from Ethiopia. Me: Ah. At another table sat a group of black men and women, one child and one white man. I was alone. Africans are in groups, I thought, but we Germans are alone. Nevertheless I enjoyed that I am emancipated enough to go alone in a restaurant when I wish so. And then the owner of this restaurant brought me this wonderful vegetarian meal. I took the only fork that I could found between these little bowls to eat the meal. The owner came back and asked: do you know how to eat it with the hands. I muttered something that I've been to India.......but he showed me how to eat. I watched him and thanked him. Don't use the left hand as a support, he said politely. And I ate with my right hand only. It was delicious this meal, an unknown mixture of vegetables and fruits. I got a dessert (yogurt with honey) for free at the end of the main course, a business card and a handshake when I left the restaurant. Yeah, this was my evening........:)

6 comments:

Anna said...

Sounds wonderful! When we were in Oakland, California recently we found an Ethiopian restaurant and just loved the various dishes. Mmmm. I like eating alone - talking while eating I find a bit painful for the digestion.

Ursula said...

The word painful in this combination sounds funny to me. I talk and eat and talk and eat. When I am out with E uses this to his advantage and he eats my stuff, too,while I am telling him most important stories.....:)

Emma said...

ethiopian food is my very very favorite!! more than anything else.

injeri is heavenly...

Deviant said...

I always viewed a meal as having to be shared with other people! I love cooking, sharing what I cook and eating what I cook with the people I love. I don't think I could ever eat in a restaurant alone, it's a scarey thought! People who do so seem so.. lonely. But your experience sounds most rewarding.

Ursula said...

I travelled alone in the past and I go to restaurants alone. It's easier to get to know new people. It's not the first time that I get a dessert or a drink for free. Sometimes I get to know other guests. I like to go out alone....not always, but sometimes.

Anna said...

@Deviant - Being alone is very, very different from being lonely! Being alone can be a most happy, joyful experience. Being able to be alone is a gift.