Friday, February 05, 2010

Why nobody can become enlightened - for Garp

There is the classic question. Was it Ramana Maharsi who asked? The question is: Who am I?
The answer cannot be: I am a 50 year old woman practicing Ashtanga yoga. I used to work as an accountant. I have fair hair and like black coffee. This is me.
The answer is: Consciousness is all there is. (Everything is fiction.)
That I'm 50 is only because we use a calender which is arbitrarily. Today I might practice yoga, but tomorrow I might be forced to stop with this practice. Today my hair is fair, in 10 years perhaps grey. I might love Earl Grey tea one day. All my given answers are fiction. Everything that I mentioned can change quickly.

The answer is I'm not or nothing but a body-mind organism, if you like, that is changing permanently, nothing with what we can identify as our "I".
(You are not your body, you are not your mind, you are not your feelings, you are not your thoughts, but pure consciousness)
This is pure Advaita tradition. (Very quickly and modest written).

Enlightenment (the understanding that nobody is the doer, that life happens) happens therefore to nobody. That's why nobody can become enlightened. :)

8 comments:

Garp said...

Thank you. I feel honoured by this extra-post adressed to me :-)

Your explanation is interesting but new to me. Until now I only knew Patanjali's view which is different.

Ursula said...

Time to read something new. I suggest to start with Ramesh Balsekar "Who cares?"

Debb said...

I also like Eckhart Tolle's writings, The Power of Now and A New Earth. Everything physical thing is an illusion. He also speaks of our "ego" getting us into trouble :)..

My yoga teacher offers retreats every three months or so. She jokingly said at the last one that we need to have an "egoectomy" To try and rid ourselves of our ego.
Namaste, Ursula!

Ursula said...

Oh, you seem to have a wonderful community.

Btw: here we do not get the feet massaged, but the neck, scarcely in Ashtanga classes, but in Jivamukti classes. They like to give little massages.....:)

Debb said...

My yoga teacher truly lives a life of servanthood. I feel her foot massage is symbolic of foot washing done by Jesus.

Ursula said...

This sounds very very nice what you tell about her. Really great.

rhh said...

Oh my Ursula, you do raise heavy thoughts here. From my experience, many people tend to equate 'enlightenment' with ‘mystical experience.’ I and others have had these mystical experiences, but none of us are enlightened. I have decided that I have no idea what the word ‘enlightenment’ means – it is something simply beyond me (my ego self).

I just try to operate on the premise that when I die, the Egoic Self will dissipate and will be no more. The ‘Essence’ that I brought into this life will continue on and that is the real me. I suppose if my Egoic Self could become my Essence I could say I’m enlightened.

Obviously, I have no idea what I’m talk about. Just remember Lao Tau:

“He who knows not, speaks.
He who knows, speaks not.”

Ursula said...

Thank you again for your comment.