Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The joy to exercise on a regular basis

I am at home again after an excellent practice. We were more practitioners than usual which was great. Guests, as I've learned. Uddjay breathing could be heard during the entire session. This gives the entire session an Ashtanga atmosphere.
I exercised till vatayanasana. I do what I can do alone and I am very happy when M helps me with the asanas I'm not able to do alone: karandavasana, dwi pada sirsasana among others. I got new ideas how to practice mayurasana. To put the hands on blocks IS helpful. But this was it for this week with second series. Tomorrow is primary on the schedule.

There is a book I'd like to recommend: Mastery. The keys to success and long-term fulfilment by George Leonard.
The joy to exercise on a regular basis is one of the ingredients on the way to mastery.
Another really good recommendation of Leonard is: Be prepared that plateaus will come. Start loving the plateaus, these times where still stand is experienced. Be prepared that this will come and then simply go on.
I don't feel still stand for the time being. It's a joy to practice, I feel less distracted, also not when I practice at home. Did the practices become easier? It is possible. To exercise focus is part of the exercise. Last but not least the available energy is focused and therefore stronger.

Modesty: This key word came into my mind. The longer I practice the more modest I feel. Plateaus were experienced. But not only this. I had times where I had to practice alone for months. I experienced setbacks due to injuries. I am thankful that I am able to practice. That I experience joy while practicing even makes me happy.

2 comments:

rhh said...

Ursula wrote: "Plateaus were experienced. But not only this. I had times where I had to practice alone for months. I experienced setbacks due to injuries."
==============================
I know all about the 'plateaus' -- if you pay attention to life, we have them a lot!!

I think the 'practice alone' is hard. I need motivation, and I seem to only get it from class. Blogs (yours) and DVDs help, but a teacher is priceless is he or she is good.

Lastly, would you tell us more about how you dealt with your practice and injuries? At my age -- late 60's -- I find a small hurt, brused tailbone, or twisted joint becomes harder to deal with than with I was in my 30-40. Sometimes this is a de-motivational factor.

Is there anything you do in particular? This should be part of your book btw.

Ursula said...

Hi Ralph,
in short: to move is also good when injured. I think it was Iyengar who recommended to practice around the injury. To listen even more carefully to the body is surely important. Sometimes it can be helpful to take a break. It depends.
It's difficult to give advice. I think you know your body best.

It is difficult to practice alone, but possible and last but not least the goal. I am glad that I developped a strong self-practice. This gives me a certain independance.

Happy practices
and greetings from Germany.
I think it is great that you practice yoga.....:)
Ursula