Saturday, February 20, 2010

All in one

When we practice Ashtanga yoga, we practice asanas/vinyasas and pranayama together.
The pranayama technique that we do when practicing Ashtanga yoga is uddyaj breathing. I do not get tired to repeat this hahahahaha.
The glottis in the throat is used to produce a soft sound when inhaling and when exhaling. For many it seems easier to produce this sound when exhaling. This is the first difficulty.
The second difficulty is to do exhaling as long as inhaling.
The breath initiates a movement and lasts as long as the movement lasts.
Another difficulty arises when we reach our limits when doing an asana. Then it is especially important to go on with uddyaj breathing. I tended to hold the breath. When I learned marichyasana C and D it was very difficult for me to inhale at all. Fear came up and I stopped breathing. It is important to go on breathing especially when we feel limits. This is a technique that allows us finally to go deeper into an asana.
Often I started my practice with the best intentions to focus on my breath during the entire practice, but soon it was forgotten. My mind was busy with the asanas and not the breath. I got back to the breath again and again. I am not lazy to remind me of the breath each time I practice. The breath connects the asanas and vinyasas and creates flow.
M told me last time that my inhaling is a tiny bit shorter again than my exhaling. On my yoga free day (today) I sat down in lotus pose (before showering) and exercised twice 5 min uddyaj breathing. Sometimes it is easier to learn something when isolating it from other activities (asanas). The result was exciting. I felt very awake afterwards. The deep inhaling and exhaling woke me up. And this can be also the result when I do the correct breathing when I practice Ashtanga yoga: It is possible to feel refreshed after a practice (not only good because it is done).

Already in lotus pose I sat 10 min in silence. The water tap dropped. Exercise non-attachment, I thought. This dropping water is nothing, it needn't drive you crazy. Thoughts came up, I wrote some posts mentally. Over.
Breakfast time.

PS: To practice asanas/vinyasas and pranayama all in one is one of the challenges of Ashtanga.

No comments: