Wednesday, January 06, 2010

1% theory

I studied the poses in the book by Gregor Maehle (GM) yesterday, mainly eka pada sirsasana (both legs behind while upright) and kapotasana.

Eka pada sirsasana: It is interesting that GM suggests to do yoga nidra (same pose, only being on the back) first if one is not able to do eka pada sirsasana. It is easier to do yoga nidra, because there is no balancing challenge . After yoga nidra, the hips are usually more open. Perhaps they are so far more open that eka pada sirsasan is possible then, I shall see. But I know if I'm not able to keep a leg behind the head without holding it, I cannot take the other leg behind the head (whether or not I have done yoga nidra first). Eka pada sirsasana is one of the poses where I need a teacher, otherwise I have to omit it. And this is what GM also suggests. Go on without having done the pose, if you are not able to do it. There are poses where conservative teacher don't let the students go on, but eka pada sirsasana is not such a pose.

Kapotasana: GM suggests to put the ellbow on the floors, while the top of the head is on the floor too. Then the hands walk to the feet (elbows remain on the floor and head, too). I will try this. I have no clue about the distance hands - feet. But kapotasana I can exercise alone, even though it is much better to get support. M always helps me when I do this pose....

4 comments:

Anna said...

"whether or not I have done yoga nidra first" is what you need here!

tanya said...

if you could possible illustrate by your photography trick step by step (ie step one pause adjust step two adjust and so on) way of going into the asana then it will help very one who are following your blog don't you think?

Ursula said...

Thanks Anna....corrected. :)

Ursula said...

The problem is that taking pictures always takes too much time. It spoils my practice.

Second: there are asanas which I cannot do fast. Time is not long enough to go into the asana before the camera takes the picture (20 sec is damned short). I could film it, but this takes even more time (especially the uploading). But pictures will come when I progress and when I can do the asanas faster without risking injuries.